Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 11:32:45 PM EDT
What do you guys think?

I built this on an eagle arms lower from Quantico.  

Didn't get a chance to post befor the outage.

- The stock is an ACE Ultralight.
- I put in a rock river lower parts kit and I installed a 2 stage trigger when I built it.
- The upper receiver an barrel are from J&T. Note the fluted bbl. It is a 16" 1/9 twist
- MAD flip up BUIS and I have a Mepro21 mounted on there right now (because it was stiing in the closet) I might go aimpoint shopping or I might wait for the tri-power.
- forarm is KAC RAS.
- forward grip is olyarms (another thing laying around the house)
- surfire G-2 on the other side (you can see the wire) with a pressure switch that was also just sitting in the closet in a box.
- CQB Solutions SOP sling.
- 'sling thing for dove tails' from GG&GAZ.

This is my 3rd build for me personally and I've helped several other people come over to the dark side of the black rifle.

My only regret is that I think I would have liked to have the flatop front gas block.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you did a good job. I like the over all look.

Gunner45
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
good looking rifle!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#3]
GackMan,
Nice looking rifle.  The light you've got on it, that's a G2 Nitrolon (the plastic one) right?  Do the pressure switch tail caps work on those just like any other Surefire?  

Might be a decent way to save a little cash.  How well does the G2 hold up to recoil?
Thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GackMan,
Nice looking rifle.  The light you've got on it, that's a G2 Nitrolon (the plastic one) right?  Do the pressure switch tail caps work on those just like any other Surefire?  

Might be a decent way to save a little cash.  How well does the G2 hold up to recoil?
View Quote

The light works well so far.  

I haven’t had a chance to beat on it and test it and I don’t know if I’d want to bet my life on it as a tactical light.  But, we shall see – I trust surefire’s products in general so my fingers are crossed that it continues to perform.

I had it on another rifle before so the light has been on 2 rifles but for only a few hundred rounds total.  I had been carrying the light but upgraded to the 6P and ended up with the G2 just collecting dust.  

The end cap with the wire and pressure switch was $25. The 6P has a standard pressure cap; It is interchangeable between the G2 and 6P.  I used one of the first samco mounts to put it on there (about $20 IIRC).  Looped the wire to the pressure pad through the bottom sling swivel - it worked out to be a bonus - keeps the wire out of the way and keeps the swivel from flopping around and I don't have to remove it.

First time I shot it after 20 rounds or so the light would squirm out of the mound and dangle from the wire...  I was a little hesitant to crank it down since both the mount and the light are plastic.  So I'd tighten... then pound on it a little and see if it would move...  tighten a little more.  Seems to be solid now.

So total - if you were buying the light new - for the mount, light, and pressure switch you'd be under $75.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I may look into trying something like that for the time being.  Glad to hear it is working so far.
Scott
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Very Nice!

I like...

Danny
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
very nice!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice build, very attractive rifle.
You show some insight into what works, what doesn't, and how to use what you have at hand to make something that works.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife wonders how a rifle can be attractive,
I told her she's going to get a course of
"Cool AR's 101" in the upcoming months.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
That RAS is awesome!!!

I finished mine this weekend too.
Ordered a Model-1 kit. RRA lower, 16" C.A.R. with SS barrel and a Fixed stock.

Went from this.

[img]http://www.x-velocity.com/ar/1.jpg[/img]

And this

[img]http://www.x-velocity.com/ar/2.jpg[/img]

To this

[img]http://www.x-velocity.com/ar/done2.jpg[/img]

Racked up and ready to go.

http://www.x-velocity.com/ar/1.jpg

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Saawheat! oh wait thats not mine, lol.

[img]http://www.dotbob.us/images/whaa.jpg[/img]

Looks great.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey bob - how do you like the fobus rails?  My buddy was going to get some but wasn't sure if they were worth it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Very Nice!
I just wonder what other goodies you have in that closet!
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a bunch of holsters that I don't like anymore...  LOL
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I just put them on last week. I paid too much for them, but I wanted to show interest in ar parts at the local shop. So far they seem alright, REAL tight fit, I am actualy wondering if/how they are gonna come off. The seems are pretty good, just a little gap at one end. Armalite has a new aluminum two piece set, like the Fobus. I wasn't sure if they were car or mid length, and they were more costly, so. Over all I'd say they are a good alternative to removeing the fake brake.

Tell em to check  
http://www.botachtactical.com/fisamhase.html
for a great price, although I've never heard of this site.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a G2 I wanted to make my weapon light. I have the weaver ring mount, and a custom front sight mount I made. All I needed was a tape switch with a 6" length that was affordable. Seemed everywhere I looked, the Surefire tape switch optional tailcap for a 6P was $75! That's more than 2X the darn light.

Gack, where'd you get your $20 tape switch tail cap from for a G2? Anyone?

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top