Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 1:15:01 PM EDT
Hey, How often should I be using the actual bore brush to clean. Its a new AR never fired. Should I be using the bore brush after every trip to the range, or just use  patches with clp? ...and use the bore brush like every other time?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a few thousand rounds through my AR and have never used a bore brush.  

I just clean the barrel with Hoppes, then lube the bolt carrier group with clp.  If I'm shooting a lot, I leave everything dirty until I have about 500rds through it, then clean it all up really good.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
hey should i use clp in the actual bore? Its chrome lined
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure.  CLP is for cleaning and lubing the whole gun.

That being said, here's what I do:

Clean with Hoppe's.

Wipe dry.

Lube bolt carrier group generously with Breakfree LP
Lube Firing Pin lightly with Breakfree CLP
Lube everything else with Breakfree CLP
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay so is it bad to leave the bore semi wet with the breakfree clp? Or should I run dry patches through it after I run the wet ones through. I know I might be asking some pretty simple questions but Im completely new to this. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Okay so is it bad to leave the bore semi wet with the breakfree clp? Or should I run dry patches through it after I run the wet ones through. I know I might be asking some pretty simple questions but Im completely new to this. Thanks

You can leave it in there for storage.  Probably best to patch it prior to shooting the rifle although I've neglected to do this many times and I still have all my fingers/still see just fine/rifle not in pieces.

When cleaning the bore, it's best not leave high ammonia solvents in the bore for long periods of time.  Sweets is one such solvent.  It cleans well, but on a chrome-lined bore it can do nasty things to the chromelining (if left to sit too long).

The reasoning behind not shooting while the bore is wet, is due to the possibility that it can lead to overpressure.  I suppose if there was enough liquid in the bore, it might act as a bore obstruction.  Not a good thing.

ETA: I use Sweets because it does such a good job at removing copper deposits.  I'm just careful that I don't allow it to sit for more than 15 minutes or so.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top