Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:47:22 AM EDT
I have a device similar to an Aimpoint (It's a red-dot, 1X magnification but I won't mention the brand to save myself the embarassment), with rings to mount on a picatinny rail.  I'd like to mount this on my M4.  If I take the carry handle off, I'd need a mount that's tall enough to get it clear of the front sight post, or if I mount it to the carry handle, I would just need a picatinny rail that attaches to the handle, but I think that might put the device too high to maintain a good cheek/stock weld.  Am I correct in that assumption?

What mount would you recommend, and if you have a picture handy, could you post it?  Thanks!

ETA:  This device is dual-ring, not single, so I need a mount/rail long enough to attach a dual ring device to it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this optic device 1" or 30mm in diameter......, it'll matter don'tcha know?

Best just state what it is.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
It's that funky long-ass-Tac-thing isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL...Ok, flame-suit *ON*!!!

This device is almost ten years old. it's......a Tasco AccuDot.  I've had it sitting around forever and haven't had a gun to put it on, but thought it might work well on the AR if I could find an appropriate mount for it.  This thing isn't even listed on their web-site anymore if that tells you anything.  It's a 30MM tube/rings.

ETA:  The model is "ACD1" for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a couple of pictures...Heck, it's practically an antique!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd recommend something like this and just mount it to your DCH, should be alright as it's similar to old Colt 4x scopes...

www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=MNT0902&back=yes&dept=194&last=21

Mike

ps - search around, as I have a "smaller" variety of the mount above that has the opening which allows the use of your irons thru it
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd recommend something like this and just mount it to your DCH, should be alright as it's similar to old Colt 4x scopes...

Mike

ps - search around, as I have a "smaller" variety of the mount above that has the opening which allows the use of your irons thru it

That's great.  What do you think about This

riser for use without the carry handle?  Would it give me the height I need?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Just another way to skin that cat......

Should work too.

Mike

ps - just thinkin ya might want the DCH to have a BUIS right there handy, no removal necessary
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Should work too.

Mike

ps - just thinkin ya might want the DCH to have a BUIS right there handy, no removal necessary

You're absolutely right.  I went ahead and ordered the one you pointed out (for $15, I can't lose), and if I run across the other one you're talking about at some point, I'll buy it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Should work too.

Mike

So I got this mount in today and it's PERFECT.  It's got a tunnel through it that makes the iron sights still available...absolutely perfect.  

One more question...I notice that cheek-weld is not nearly as good when looking through the dot-sight.  Is there a cheek-pad for a 6-position stock, or should I just deal with it?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One more question...I notice that cheek-weld is not nearly as good when looking through the dot-sight.  Is there a cheek-pad for a 6-position stock, or should I just deal with it?

This is very common complaint and issue with using A1 or A2 uppers as a scope mount platform, (one of the reason A3 flat-tops are so popular today).

Yes, there are several companys that make items like this www.clawstactical.com/arDPMSCheekRest.html to fit your collapsible stock.

Shop around and realize there are different types of collapsible stock, the old style and several new style, make sure ya get one that'll fit the type your using....

Mike

ETA - here's some more cheek rests: www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=205276
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top