Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 3:07:35 PM EDT
I have a 16" Bushmaster M4 type flat-top I bought a couple months ago.
I am thinking about doing the ATF form 1 to allow making an NFA weapon, and buying a short barreled upper to put on my lower.   (Rather than buying a whole new short-barrel carbine). Bushmaster  sells a upper with 11.5" barrel for $565.   Is there any other vendors I should consider getting it from?   I want a quality upper for this, and I guess I have a warm and fuzzy feeling buying it from BM since it will be going on a BM lower.   I have seen a Lewis Machine Tool 10.5" upper, but its more expensive and has a 1:7 twist (I think).   I like the 1:9 of the BM.    I saw one from Model 1 sales......any good?  Also, I will likely put a LaRue or Daniel defense free-float rail fore end on this shorty.
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
While I am not in the market for an SBR at this moment, my general thoughts are that as barrel length diminishes, caliber should increase.  Therefore if choosen to go SBR I would think that a 9mm subgun is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be shooting 55gr and 62 gr bullets.      1:7 is the way to go?
With the short barrel, it changes things enough that you need a shorter twist to sabilize?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, I was thinking 1:9 because I have read that it is optimal for stabilizing the 55 and 62 gr bullets.    Since those are the bullets I will be shooting, thats why i was thinking along those lines.   But it does seem that most every short barrel offered by vendors is a 1:7.    ok.....1:7 it is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
then what I want to make sure of......will a 1:7 twist work well with 55gr bullets out of a 10-11" barrel as far as stabilizating the bullet when shooting no longer than, say, 100 yds.?  (I mean when just considering stabilization and not fragmenting for self defense).     Would a 1:9 stabilize a 55gr bullet well, even though the barrel is so short?
Sorry if I am being redundant here, but I am a little confused about this.

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently went through some of these same issues on a build.  

Do you like the fit between your current lower / upper receivers?  If the answer is yes, then simply buy a barrel from a reputable dealer (like the one commenting in this thread) and build it yourself.  Your going to be installing a full float handguard anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the BM I have is fine for fit..... nice and tight.     Thanks for the idea.    Since  I got this rifle, I kind of wished I had gone with a mid-length 16".     I have the patrolmans carbine with the short handguards.
 Maybe I should just talk to Randall about cutting it down.    (after getting a Form 1 completed, of course).        I'll send you a note about it, Randall.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top