Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 2:30:53 PM EDT
Hello, fellow users. I am doing some research on purchasing an AR, and have decided to go a bit off the beaten path. I am looking for a bare gun, i.e. the full mechanical system (upper, lower, bolt, barrel, trigger group,  etc) but without the "furniture" ( stock, grip, etc.). I am planning on 3D printing those parts. Does anyone know where to find something like what I'm looking for? I would prefer buying from an established company, as I am only doing research for now.

Price should be relatively low, as the point of this whole exercise is to save some money.

Thanks to all for any help/suggestions you may have.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a S&W MP Sport (~$599).  The furniture on it is basically throw away...

ETA:  Or a PTAC from PSA...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Sum of the parts are greater than the whole, which means you probably won't find what you're looking for in the form of a complete gun.

buy complete gun, sell of the parts, then add the ones you make.

Buy a Colt 6920 for 900ish, Colt take-off parts go for a lot more in the aftermarket.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt 6920 is as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello, fellow users. I am doing some research on purchasing an AR, and have decided to go a bit off the beaten path. I am looking for a bare gun, i.e. the full mechanical system (upper, lower, bolt, barrel, trigger group,  etc) but without the "furniture" ( stock, grip, etc.). I am planning on 3D printing those parts. Does anyone know where to find something like what I'm looking for? I would prefer buying from an established company, as I am only doing research for now.

Price should be relatively low, as the point of this whole exercise is to save some money.

Thanks to all for any help/suggestions you may have.
View Quote

Then don't forget to factor in the cost of materials for the 3D printing, sheet aluminum and the tools to form it for the inner heat shield on the hand guard, etc:)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM sells uppers without the hand guards. Honestly any AR you buy in standard form the parts are generally throw/give away, they pay almost nothing for the parts. Plus to sell a complete rifle you will need a pistol grip as it retains the selector spring/detent. Otherwise build your own AR, only buy what you want, you will save money. There is about $20 in mil spec plastic on an AR.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yes sir, my Spikes is awesome!! Side note, I almost bought a 6920 with a buddy of mine. He ordered one and I had to pass due to lack if funds. His gun came in and I finally got to take a peek at it..... I hope they all aren't like his cause it looked terrible. I'm glad I passed. I want another gun but after seeing that 6920 I'm going Noveske.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#9]
You aren't going to find any company that sells a complete gun minus all of the furniture.  You can buy an upper with no hand guard, but you'll have to build your own lower to get one without a grip or stock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a S&W MP Sport (~$599).  The furniture on it is basically throw away...  

ETA:  Or a PTAC from PSA...
View Quote

I second this motion.  These are damn fine rifles and for cheap !! I almost bought one a month ago
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#12]
As stated above.

When these come back in stock jump on it as they do not last long...

Spikes MidLength
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
There is a sw mp15 sport here at the local shop for $540. Cant go wrong with that and you wont see one bad review regarding them
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is a sw mp15 sport here at the local shop for $540. Cant go wrong with that and you wont see one bad review regarding them
View Quote

As long as you don't want a Dust Cover or Forward Assist. They have had really good reviews, a lot of rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes sir, my Spikes is awesome!! Side note, I almost bought a 6920 with a buddy of mine. He ordered one and I had to pass due to lack if funds. His gun came in and I finally got to take a peek at it..... I hope they all aren't like his cause it looked terrible. I'm glad I passed. I want another gun but after seeing that 6920 I'm going Noveske.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yea...you see that a lot of that on here. Colt is putting out a lackluster product at the moment id steer clear of them right now. I have a 6920 and love it but its about 7 yrs old. If someone is dead set on a 6920 recommend the fn 15 to them...they are nice quality rifles if you can find them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is precisely why I didnt purchase. I just couldnt get over the lack of a dust cover...but if he wants a real basic rifle I guess, why not?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Spikes are bad ass too...obviously a better choice than the mp sport and other rifles for that matter but you will just pay a little more as you should.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
you could get a BCM upper and BCG directly from BCM, and a BCM lower without a stock (https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3412), but i've never seen a lower with just the LPK installed
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
You can pick up a PSA Freedom carbine for $549 and ditch the furniture.  Or shoot it as is while you print your replacements parts.  :)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-freedom-carbine-2.html?p=2
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you could get a BCM upper and BCG directly from BCM, and a BCM lower without a stock (https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3412), but i've never seen a lower with just the LPK installed
View Quote

BCM lowers do not exist unless it's complete. As close as you'll get is one without a stock. I've never seen one without the lpk and buffer assembly already installed.

To my knowledge, BCM does not sell stripped lowers. They don't want fudds out there building junk lowers with their name on it I suppose.

Just like their uppers. They will sell stripped uppers, but it will not have 'BCM' laser engraved on it unless it was assembled by them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top