Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 12:35:51 PM EDT
I have never had glass on any of my rifles other than that little 4 power thing on my Colt SP1 carbine, and I never really cared for it so it is sitting in the top of the safe....

So that being said, I built a 24" varmit rifle in honor of The lift of the ban, and I need to scope it, It is a flat top (Mega lower/Mega upper) w/ a 24" fluted bbl from Bushmaster freefloated and a Harris Bi-pod

So I have about 350.00 to spend and Im looking at the I.O.R.  4x24, m2 .223 tactical ( looks cool but like I said I dont know squat about optics) Or The Super Sniper but I dont have any Idea what size I am supposed to get for my rifle?...

Im mainly just a paper killer, and I want to build this rifle up into a cayote shooter, my area only offers about 500-600 yard shots at the longest, but more like 100-300 is the norm.

Any help?...

Am I going in the wrong direction?, In know you get what you pay for, and Im not maid of money, but I would like to have a nice piece of military type glass....

Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked around alot and finally bought a Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25X, 50mm AO, with an illuminated red dot in the center of very fine crosshairs. The illuminated dot has 11 brightness settings for various low light conditions or you can leave it off and use as a conventional scope with a black dot. I have it mounted in an Armalite one piece on top of a Bushmaster V Match with a 20 inch barrel. I got this set up for long range paper punching(100-300 yds) and possibly some varmint hunting. I'll be breaking it in this weekend. Go to Mueller's website for more info., there are several independent reviews of the Eraticator on their site. Also alot of info. on the rimfire central site about this scope. I paid $249.00 and am impressed by the quality so far. Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Seneca_Cayunga Thanks for taken the time to reply, I will check into your info. Good luck with your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an IOR M2... a VERY nice scope.  I highly recommend it.  If yours does not come with the IOR rings and base, let me suggest the Armalite 30 mm base.  The M2 is a 30 mm scope, not 1".

The IOR is more of a battle rifle scope than a varmint scope, but if the 4x satisfies you, I see nothing wrong with it.  It has a nice little rangefinding scale, and bullet drop compensation for the M855 62 grain pill.  That should work pretty well for 55 and 69, too.  Since what you want is military glass, you will like the M2.

And the reticle lights up, too.

You will like this scope!

----

Edited to ad, I was not that impressed just looking at it in catalogs.  I read the blurb, and passed it up.  It was not until I had a chance to actually see and handle one on my older son's carbine, that I really became enthused about the M2 and ordered one for myself.  He did not say anything about the scope, I asked to look at it.  Immediately knew (like the movie Independence Day), "Wow, I gotta get me one of these!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an IOR M2... a VERY nice scope.  I highly recommend it.  If yours does not come with the IOR rings and base, let me suggest the Armalite 30 mm base.  The M2 is a 30 mm scope, not 1".

The IOR is more of a battle rifle scope than a varmint scope, but if the 4x satisfies you, I see nothing wrong with it.  It has a nice little rangefinding scale, and bullet drop compensation for the M855 62 grain pill.  That should work pretty well for 55 and 69, too.  Since what you want is military glass, you will like the M2.

And the reticle lights up, too.

You will like this scope!

A_Free_Man, Thanks for the feedback, It is down to this scope and the Super Sniper, I have to admit I like the M2 but wonder if the Super Sniper is a little better set up for a 24" rifle. How much of a rise does your Scope mouts have?, I was looking at the IOR rings/mounts on 1/2" and 3/4"...

Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top