Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2005 9:10:03 AM EDT
Here's what I'm working with:

So what do I need?  I already measured the height.  Its about 5 1/4 inches tall.

I need something I can remove when I want to replace the buttstock... but I'd also like it to cover up the buffer tube hole.

If anybody could point me to some good options I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, Jethro!

Where'd you get those stocks?  This should start a fucking frenzy!
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wow, Jethro!

Where'd you get those stocks?  This should start a fucking frenzy!

Made it myself.  

And yes.  I do love to show em off.

But now I need a buttplate to cover up that endgrain...
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
very nice looking stock set. Job well done congrats
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you...

Um... anyone know anything about buttplates, though?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job!  The top part of a standard GI buttplate will screw into the buffer tube.  I'm sure you could drill and tap something for the bottom...
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have useds a buffer tube inside your stock you could just cover up the butt end with a limbsaver removable recoil pad.

Im not sure it is quite what you are looking for though, it would partially cover up your beautiful work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If your stock is the same size and shape as an A2 you could open up a pocket in the end of the stock to fit a standard trap door butt plate and spacer, not for storage just enough for a flush fit.
Since the butt plate holds the stock on the rifle what ever you use would have to be fairly solid.
You could also grind a large thin shotgun pad like a Kick-Eze or somthing on that order to fit the stock.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty sure that I saw a replacement checkered ALUMINUM but otherwise standard-looking buttplate in the Brownells catalog
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not make your own matching one? You've obviously got the skills. I think it's doable, I've been a woodworker for 7 years. Plane a peice down to 3/8" or so, trace and cut it our on the bandsaw, and use a 3/8 roundover bit on the edges?
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn thats out right retro. I dig wood patterns and all, but on an AR?

Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am pretty sure that I saw a replacement checkered ALUMINUM but otherwise standard-looking buttplate in the Brownells catalog

I was going to say search Brownell's. If you can't find it yourself call them and they may know. They have a fairly knowledgeable staff or at least they used to.

By the way that is sweet looking. I love the look of nice wood.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why not make your own matching one? You've obviously got the skills. I think it's doable, I've been a woodworker for 7 years. Plane a peice down to 3/8" or so, trace and cut it our on the bandsaw, and use a 3/8 roundover bit on the edges?

This idea is starting to grow on me.  I like the continuous wood idea.

Also, I like the idea of not shelling out cash for something I could make myself.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
buy this and pop the buttstock in the back of yours. did the same to my bell&carlson thumbhole stock and it looks kick a$$.  you will have to cut out some of the internals to make it fit but in the end it looks great.
les branson adjustable stock
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:38:36 AM EDT
[#15]
A+  Way cool.

You might consider some kind of threaded insert so you can use a normal screw.  A wood screw might not work if you had to remove it a few times.   Some shotguns use threaded inserts.  They might be hard to find but considering the effort you put into the project it would be worth the time.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#16]
A+  Way cool.

You might consider some kind of threaded insert so you can use a normal screw.  A wood screw might not work if you had to remove it a few times.   Some shotguns use threaded inserts.  They might be hard to find but considering the effort you put into the project it would be worth the time.

Nice job.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A+  Way cool.

Nice job.

Thanks.

And good suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I've seen treaded inserts fo making furinture like gliders and such. Check out rockler.com. They have a lot of speciaty hardware.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Finished the buttplate.

I went with the threaded brass inserts, though the first set I tried, the notches on both of em split while I was screwing em in.

Same for one on the second batch, though it was in far enough that I was able to break it off and sand it down.

I think next time I'll go with the steel hammer-ins.

Here's the pics:

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Very Nice!And different.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#21]
good job !!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Got wood?

Congrats for a job well done on the wood stock!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Stunning job!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I think doing the same buttplate treatment to the grip would look cool too.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top