Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 3:09:04 PM EDT
Ok I have gotten this far.  I can't figure out how to install the telescopic stock.  Yes, I have looked at the guides.  And waht about the takedown pin?

Somebody please IM me on AIM and walk me through this, or do it on here if you have to.

SN - RiceEatin1995GT

Oh, and how the hell do you tighten the pistol grip screw?  I don't have allen keys that are like 10 feet long
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Idon't use AIM so I posted this here, I am sure you will get a lot of responses for this from people who have been doing this longer than I have, but I just put a parts kit on a lower this week with a g27 grip as well.  

I didn't have that long of an allen wrench either, luckily I had a screwdriver with interchangable bits and had the right hex nut bit.  If you don't have one of those, I would reccomend replacing that screw with a flat head type.  They are easy to get at most hardware or autoparts stores, the size is 1/4" 28 TPI (1/4" National Fine).  

Now you are ready to install the stock.  From the picture you have posted, the locking plate and nut on the stock are reversed.  Put the locking nut on first and thread it as far as it can go.  Then make sure the locking plate with the slightly raised section is facing the reciever.  Then start threading the tube onto the reciever just two or three complete turns.  Now install the buffer retainer spring and pin.  While holding these down with one hand continue threading the stock tube until the tube keeps the pin from coming out.  

The lock plate should have about 3/8" space between the reciever.  Rotate the the stock tube and locking plate so you have access to the rear takedown pin detent hold. Next you need to install the rear takedown pin.  Once the rear takedown pin is in,  put the detent and spring in.  Then lineup the lockdown plate with the reciever again, but make sure not to bend the spring.  Next compress the lockdown plate to the reciever with one hand and tighten the nut with the other.  Then tighten the nut with stock wrench or strap wrench.  Some people like to use locktite on the nut to keep it from loosening up.  From there you should be ready to install the buffer and spring and function test your new AR.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I really appreciate it, but I called up ogcujo and he walked me through everything.  Great great guy.

I suggest taking what you just posted though, and adding it to the guide on this site, because it is very confusing.

Talk to the admins about it, because to a newcomer, they won't understand anything about installing the telescopic stock.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Wally world and get some long Allen keys. Stanley makes them
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I really appreciate it, but I called up ogcujo and he walked me through everything.  Great great guy.

M4A1OwnsYou any time man

Quoted:I suggest taking what you just posted though, and adding it to the guide on this site, because it is very confusing.

Talk to the admins about it, because to a newcomer, they won't understand anything about installing the telescopic stock.

+1 I had to buy the Bushmaster DVD my first time, the AR15.COM walk through is good, but not detailed enough for the first timer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4A1OwnsYou any time man

Quoted:I suggest taking what you just posted though, and adding it to the guide on this site, because it is very confusing.

+1 I had to buy the Bushmaster DVD my first time, the AR15.COM walk through is good, but not detailed enough for the first timer.

No it's not.  I got through most of the other stuff on my own, but the way the stuff is explained can get pretty complicated.  I did well up until the stock, but thankfully you helped me through it.

But for rookies like me, it can be pretty confusing and could use a SLIGHT bit of revision for others in the future.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But for rookies like me, it can be pretty confusing and could use a SLIGHT bit of revision for others in the future.

What changes need to be done to make this easier to understand? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wanting to help make it easier.

1. Thread the castle nut all the way onto the buffer tube, then install the back plate (hump forward) in front of it.

2. Install the rear takedown pin's detent and spring into their hole in the lower receiver.

3. Thread the receiver extension (buffer tube) into the lower receiver about 3/4 of the way.

4. Insert the buffer retainer and its spring into the lower receiver.

5. Tighten the receiver extension until it overlaps the buffer retainer to hold it in place.

6. Tighten the castle nut with a spanner wrench, while making sure that the takedown pin's spring gets compressed into its hole correctly by the back plate.

7. Slide the buttstock onto the receiver extension by pulling straight down on the latch.

8. Cock the hammer and slide the spring and buffer into the receiver extension while depressing the buffer retainer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What changes need to be done to make this easier to understand? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just wanting to help make it easier.

1. Thread the castle nut all the way onto the buffer tube, then install the back plate (hump forward) in front of it.

2. Install the rear takedown pin's detent and spring into their hole in the lower receiver.

3. Thread the receiver extension (buffer tube) into the lower receiver about 3/4 of the way.

4. Insert the buffer retainer and its spring into the lower receiver.

5. Tighten the receiver extension until it overlaps the buffer retainer to hold it in place.

6. Tighten the castle nut with a spanner wrench, while making sure that the takedown pin's spring gets compressed into its hole correctly by the back plate.

7. Slide the buttstock onto the receiver extension by pulling straight down on the latch.

8. Cock the hammer and slide the spring and buffer into the receiver extension while depressing the buffer retainer.

*   Insert retainer spring and retainer into recess in lower.
   * Install buffer tube, backplate, and locking ring onto receiver and depress retainer when necessary to get it to rest under the extension tube. Turn tube until it is about 1/4 turn past the correct location.
   * Install takedown pin with groove to the rear and install detent and spring from the rear of the receiver.
   * Backplate will now hold spring in place when you turn the extension tube back 1/4 turn.
   * Tighten locking ring using telestock wrench for a snug fit.
   * With the hammer down, insert buffer spring and buffer into buffer tube until retainer snaps up to lock it in place.
   * Function check takedown pin, stock, and buffer retainer.

That just sounds really confusing, especially without the diagram of a telescopic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top