Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 11:14:56 AM EDT
I am looking for first hand knowledge(ONLY) on AR15 compensators from the members of the board.
Please if you havent used it dont comment on it.
I wanna hear the real deal not some "telephone" info.
Please post you likes and your dislikes.
THANKS ALL!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
POST BRAIN FARTS HERE
View Quote

pfffffffft
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to own a Bushmaster w/mini-y comp...
The blast was pretty harsh on it.
I've fired a Colt M4 with whatever type of comp they put on theirs. In comparison, as much as I hate Colt, the colt comp's blast was less than the mini-y.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, now for a real reply:  I stood beside FrankSquid at BulletFest IV, and the blast from the AK brake on his AR was ugly!  I had plugs & muffs on, and it was still uncomfortable.  Seemed louder to me than the .50 next door!

The people next to you at the range might not like you very much.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
pfffffffft

Whats that somewhat silent somewhat deadly?

LOL
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
[b]Bushmaster AK Brake:[/b]
-Can be added by the Bushmaster factory when ordering one of their post-ban M4 barrels.
- Side blast is not nearly as bad as the Mini-Y Comp
- Muzzle flash is kept out of the line of sight (most going to the sides).

Dislikes:
- Longer than needs to be (so a 14.5 + AK brake is pretty much 17" instead of 16").
- Fugly
- Durability wise I don't like those small bars that hold on the end ring (though I never damaged them they are a weak point in the design).

[b]KKF A3 TacBrake:[/b]
- Looks REALLY good (like an A2 flash supressor)
- Keeps the flash out of the line of sight.
- Less side blast than the AK brake
- Makes the 14.5" barrels a true 16" barrel

Dislike:
- Can't be installed at the Bushy Factory (upper or barrel needs to be sent to Kurt so your out of an upper for 2-4 weeks)
- Cost (if you need to remove an AK brake like I did)
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
My Bushmaster had a mini-y comp, that thing was effective but it's design would blow the blast back at you making for a loud and obnoxious noise generator. I sent my upper to Kurts Kustom Firearms and had him install a special type of comp, it's call an A3 Limiter/Hybrid, this has elongated ports on the top and also has ports in the front going around the face of the brake, what this does is directs most of the blast out in front of the shooter, so it's more comfortable on the ears without giving up performance, plus it looks perfect for an AR15 type weapon.

Here is my upper, Kurt does Beautiful work!!

[url=]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/i/section_29585/LimiterHBWilson.jpg[/url]

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
it's call an A3 Limiter/Hybrid

Its huge !
Do they have/make a shorter version?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I had to use the longer one because my barrel is 14.5" and this one will get it to 16" but Kurt does have them in the standard size.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen the LEVANG LINEAR MUZZLE brake and it does a good job from what i have seen of directing flash to the front.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Mini Y Comp on my Bushy M4 is damn effective in muzzle rise/recoil reduction. Louder than hell however and clears shooting positions to the right and left of me like I was hurling personal insults!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]
All of my postban AR's have Cavalry Arms Cav Comps.  There is no muzzle movement to speak up, they do exactly what a comp is supposed to do.  

Neither I, nor any of my shooting buddies notice any difference in sound from my A2 Flash Hider equipped AR's... and yes, we shot them side by side.

For these uppers, I simply ordered preban config uppers, ground off the bayo lugs, installed the Cav Comps as directed, welded over the pin.  Quick, simple.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Badazz link on MOST muzzle brakes, they are in ABC order, the LEVANG that i have is down the page.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/muzzledevices.msnw[/url]

Thanks to MARYLAND AR15 shooters.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Badazz link on ALL muzzle brakes

Damn near all alrighty
THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The Smith brake is extremely effective at keeping the muzzle level under rapid fire.

I had a Daewoo DR200, which ejects a jet of gas stright down on firing. In stock form, this would quickly turn the rifle into an anti-aircraft gun when firing offhand, but after a little "surgery" to install a Smith brake (the model for post-ban heavy barreled DPMS rifles), the muzzle stayed dead-level.
I've had 2 on ARs, also. One was a pre-ban type, and the other was the set-screw post-ban type. The Set-screw type generated a MUCH smaller flash then the pre-ban model did. I think maybe the interior volume of the brake has something to do with it, as the post-ban brake is much larger in diameter. The One on the Daewoo is also a post-ban model, and it generates almost no muzzle flash at all. Neither pre-ban nor post-ban model sounds louder than the other; they'll both draw looks from people wondering who is firing the cannon. (although actually, a 155mm howitzer shooting a high charge is not as loud, truly---ask me how I know)

The BM AK74 type brake is also very effective at keeping muzzle climb to a minimum, and also directs flash straight to the sides, keeping it out of the shooters' view. The one thing I wish BM would improve on the AK brake is to machine the bottom of it at the main ports much wider (as the original AK74 compensator is); this would keep the dust signature down.

Between the Bushmaster AK brake and the Smith compensator, I believe the Smith to be a little louder to the shooter, but that's subjective.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top