Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 1:56:58 PM EDT
I looked through an ACOG TA11 with the doughnut, at a 3 Gun match. How to put it ,as I heard here at arf.com, I got wood.
What an awesome clear, large picture looking through the ACOG.
I would use it for 3-Gun, what reticle is the best in your opinion, I noticed the chevron would cover less of the target, but I was leaning towards the triangle.
Any help would be apprecited, its a hell of a lot of money and I want to get the right one.

Thanks, Perry
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
try to find someone with the other types to let you shoot them. I prefer the donut, but you might not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So for a close shot you use the top of the doughnut?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say got to your local well known gun shop and look through some acogs there, see which one you like then buy one
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]

I chose the Chevron. I like the fine pt of the chevron to help me with fine aim. At under 100 yds you arent going to be that far off for it to be critical, unless you are looking to hit a guy in the eye or something. I solved the close range prob with an OTAL laser sighted to 25 yds on my M4.
Yeah, yeah, some will rag me over it, oh well, get yur own damn rifle!

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would say got to your local well known gun shop and look through some acogs there, see which one you like then buy one

I live on Rochester, MN, I would not know where to even go to look at ACOG models, we got lame shops.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I chose the Chevron. I like the fine pt of the chevron to help me with fine aim. At under 100 yds you arent going to be that far off for it to be critical, unless you are looking to hit a guy in the eye or something. I solved the close range prob with an OTAL laser sighted to 25 yds on my M4.
Yeah, yeah, some will rag me over it, oh well, get yur own damn rifle!

DaddyDett

I suppose the Chevron would be harder to acquire quick and close up.

What reticle are the guys in Iraq choosing over others??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I suppose the Chevron would be harder to acquire quick and close up.

What reticle are the guys in Iraq choosing over others??

Thanks

Chevron is whats on the TA31RCO. USMC standard issue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So for a close shot you use the topbottom of the doughnut?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
The chevron is the best of both worlds.  Up close you just put the whole thing on the target.  Farther out you use the tip.  Holdovers are easier as well.  I just wish the compacts were available with a chevron reticle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
i own a ta31(doughnut) and a ta31f(chevron) and after some time behind both i think the ta31a(triangle) would be the best compromise between the two.

the doughnut is super fast and the chevron is really precise leaving the triangle to be the happy medium, imo.

i did recently aquire a ta47 which has the triangle reticle but in the compact 2x and imagining it with the 3.5 or 4x it is the happy medium
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So for a close shot you use the top of the doughnut?

Well, you know, it's pretty much center of mass for close shots - for small values of close.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:22:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

o.O  If you put the target at the bottom of the donut you'd raise the muzzle so you'd shoot higher, that sounds like something you'd do to hit a farther target...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:21:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

o.O  If you put the target at the bottom of the donut you'd raise the muzzle so you'd shoot higher, that sounds like something you'd do to hit a farther target...

Thanks, for replys.

I believe for real close shots, bottom of the doughnut sounds correct, because if its sighted for a hundred yards, I believe you would shoot a few inches low at close range, so using the bottom would make sense.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, for replys.

I believe for real close shots, bottom of the doughnut sounds correct, because if its sighted for a hundred yards, I believe you would shoot a few inches low at close range, so using the bottom would make sense.

Check the 5.56 bullet frag chart here.

If sighted in at 50 yards you will be shooting about 2.6" low at the muzzle and then 1.5" low at 25 yards.  Unless you're trying to shoot someone's eye out at close range just covering the target with the donut or chevron (triangle too I guess) should work.  I'm no expert but this is what I see from that chart.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, for replys.

Check the 5.56 bullet frag chart here.

If sighted in at 50 yards you will be shooting about 2.6" low at the muzzle and then 1.5" low at 25 yards.  Unless you're trying to shoot someone's eye out at close range just covering the target with the donut or chevron (triangle too I guess) should work.  I'm no expert but this is what I see from that chart.

I have my Aimpoint sighted for 50 yrds, when I practice I use IDPA, for shots 25 yrds or less I aim for the top of the circle, it should end up close to the middle. Chart seems right.
Its important for three gun because with one shot in a circle or A zone it will neutralize a target, otherwise you need  2 hits on taget to neutralize. At close range with one shot neutralize could save you alot of time.

Thanks, Perry
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
with the top of the doughnut sighted in at 100yds i use the center of the doughnut for 50yds
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
with the top of the doughnut sighted in at 100yds i use the center of the doughnut for 50yds

TA11D/triangle, So if I sight the top tip of the triangle at 100 yrds, I could use the middle of the triangle for 50 yrds or closer, but the middle of circle or triangle would also be sighted for 200 yrds, is this correct?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For 7 yds the bottom of the BDC works very well. Keep moving up the BDC with increases in range up to 25 yds which uses the bottom of the doughnut. If you want to be precise.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I just put my TA-31 ACOG through its paces at an IPSC 3-Gun a few weeks ago.

For 50yds-200yds, I just put the donut on target.  The "A" zone is so large that nail driving isn't needed.  But the triangle would've been more helpful with steel plates at those distances.

My thinking is that the chevron probably won't provide enough "light mass" for quickly acquiring targets.

At ~25yds, I just use the #6 marker on the BDC for pinpoint work.

Inside 25yrds, my left eye kicks in and its red dot on target all the way.   This works very well even in room clearing as long as you keep a good cheekweld and focus you vision on the targets.

If I was going to do it all over again, I'd probably go for the triangle.

My $0.02 worth on this.

-Frank

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeh it helps thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#22]
On day 3 at an ITTS Carbine class, one of the drills they did was to pair us up and put a bag over our heads while seated in the front of a sedan.   The other students then hid 10 orange clay pigeons on the rectangular 50x100yrd range, some near while others where on the berm, or even up high on the hill behind the range backstop.   Some where hanging on target stands, sometimes one was right up against an orange traffic cone.  When the whistle blew, you had to take the bag off and run and open the trunk, get and load your guns from a closed carry case, take cover behind the car (doors or trunk), and locate and hit the orange clays.    I ran a TA11 (donut) while my partner, a civilian doctor, had the then-new Leupold CQT.  

We jumped out, but forgot to hit the trunk release button.   Even with this little delay, we still crushed the competition from the other students in target location and 1-shot hits.   Most had Aimpoints, Eotechs, and compact Acogs, the students with irons were the slowest.   Those guys had big delays just finding the damn clays, then needed multiple shots to shatter them.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont like it.  I have used the chevron retical, and it it too busy for precise engagements.  When I am spotting I would just as soon use an M68 on my M4, as that is as accurate as you need it to be for engagments over here.
 ANother thing I dont like about the acog is how bright the retical is during daylight.  We put tape over it to darked it up somewhat.  Bottom line, I prefer the CCO.  BTW the CCO is an awsome addition to the 240 MG.  Allows you to see your rounds impact as you shoot.....not obscured from the muzzle blast.

ARNG Sniper OIF
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
On day 3 at an ITTS Carbine class, one of the drills they did was to pair us up and put a bag over our heads while seated in the front of a sedan.   The other students then hid 10 orange clay pigeons on the rectangular 50x100yrd range, some near while others where on the berm, or even up high on the hill behind the range backstop.   Some where hanging on target stands, sometimes one was right up against an orange traffic cone.  When the whistle blew, you had to take the bag off and run and open the trunk, get and load your guns from a closed carry case, take cover behind the car (doors or trunk), and locate and hit the orange clays.    I ran a TA11 (donut) while my partner, a civilian doctor, had the then-new Leupold CQT.  

We jumped out, but forgot to hit the trunk release button.   Even with this little delay, we still crushed the competition from the other students in target location and 1-shot hits.   Most had Aimpoints, Eotechs, and compact Acogs, the students with irons were the slowest.   Those guys had big delays just finding the damn clays, then needed multiple shots to shatter them.  

Thanks for reply.  Sounds like a fun drill,, I need to sign up for a carbine course, I ordered the TA11D/w triangle, hell if I don't like I thing I can send it back.   I like the brightness, the reticle stands out nicely.
Perry
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:28:12 AM EDT
[#25]
double tap, mozmabique

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#26]
ta11 with the triangle reticle? i doubt you will be disappointed
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ta11 with the triangle reticle? i doubt you will be disappointed

Yeh the "evil" triangle.
Can't wait to get it mounted and sighted in.  I had to sell the farm to buy it.

I got it at   www.csgunworks.com
Thanks, Mike

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top