Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 11:42:38 AM EDT
I would appreciate some opinions as to when a  Ar15 needs a scope. My club in Maryland has both 100 and 200 yd ranges. Are iron sights good out to these distances, or would I be better served getting an AR15 flattop with a scope? Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
My local range has a steel silhouette range with targets from 200-800 meters. I can consistantly hit all the way out to the 500 with iron sights. Guess it just depends on how good your eyes are. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I would appreciate some opinions as to when a  Ar15 needs a scope.
View Quote

It NEEDS it when your eyes are too old to use the Irons properly.

Any other time its done as a 'Want' for some additional capability.

What are you planning on using your rifle for?  That will determine the preffered setup.

I've used my irons at the 100 & 200 yard ranges, and I've used my scopes at 12 yards.  Depends what I was doing.  Generally I much prefer my Compact ACOG (scope) to my irons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I plan to use my gun mostly for casual target shooting, 50-200 yds. No hunting, but I might possibly try 3 gun competition at some point.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it depends more on your proficiency with the open sights. If you are just learning to use the rifle, then stick with the open sights until you are comfortable using them. I have seen to many people who can only shoot with a scope. Not a good thing if your scope stops working.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Highpower shooters use the iron sights out to 600 yards in X course competition and out to 1,000 yards in long range service rifle competition.

They do well at these distances not because they can see any better than you but because they know how to use their sights.

It is not so hard to learn.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It depends upon the individual and the shooting conditions. This is a personal call on your part.

I shoot 10-shot silver dollar sized groups with open sights at 100 yds with my M4 wannabe. That's good enough for me.

My recommendation...use open sights until you can no longer maintain consistency with them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
No reason not to have both.

If you get an AR with a flattop you can mount a detachable carry handle and learn to use the sights like that.

Then, when you want to, all you have to do is take  the carry handle off and mount a scope.  There are a lot of options then, and they are interchangeable to what you want to use/need to use for that occasion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top