Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 3:39:49 PM EDT
This is my first post here at the AR-15.com forum, but I've visited the site several times before.

I am doing research as to what features, accessories, etc. I want in my first AR-type rifle. I've read the AR-15.com "Ammo Oracle" FAQ, as well as other "newbie" articles, but I still have a few questions that need addressing.

I plan to build my rifle, ordering the lower separately, and then a complete parts kit, or semi-complete - leaving me to obtain parts like the barrel, stocks, etc. separately. I felt that I should wait a bit so that the AWB would go away before I built the rifle, so I could get the features I wanted, possibly at a lower price.

My questions are:

I've decided on the 5.56 chamber (I've just heard about the Wylde chamber. It looks like a good idea, however, there is only one company making barrels with this chamber that I know of, and there's no long term or safety info yet. I'll wait.). I haven't yet decided on barrel twist, though. I just can't decide what I need! I want to be able to fire heavier/longer bullets (the ones that will fit in a mag, though), but still fire milsurp/milspec ammo accurately, including the XM193 & similar. This rifle will be used for range work/training, and it will be my primary lightweight SHTF rifle. I also plan to use it for home defence if necessary (suburban housing development in Florida). It's difficult to decide between 1-9", 1-8", and 1-7" twist rates. Any opinions or suggestions?

As I plan to use the rifle for SHTF/TEOTWAKI and home defence, I would like to put an adjustable stock & a flash hider/muzzle brake on it. Am I able to do so now that the AWB is over? What are the best versions of either to look into? I plan to be able to use it with body armour (when I manage to afford some), and a gas mask if necessary.

As I was trained on the M16A2 with its better sighting controls, that's what I had planned on getting on my rifle. However, there is just such a plethora of upper receiver & barrel length versions today! I don't know if I should get a 16" barrel, 20" barrel, standard A2 upper, flat-top upper, short or long handguards, etc.  I want a rifle that's easy to manuver in close quarters, yet will have acceptable accuracy and bullet velocity at longer ranges (200-300m). Suggestions?

A few things to keep in mind about me: I do NOT have lots of money for this project - that's why I'm building it myself. I do have extensive experience with gunsmithing, but it's mostly pistols. However, the AR is the easiest modern rifle to build, so I'm not worried - heck, if I had a mill, I'd make my own receiver, too! Anyway, as I'm not swimming in cash, several rifles/upper receiver combos is currently out. I may be able to buy another upper or another rifle in the future, but I have many other things to do with that money first. I do plan to buy a CETME/G3 in 7.62 NATO within the next few weeks, so long-ish ranges are covered for me. I want the AR for ammo usefulness, spare parts availability, magazine availability, low cost ammo/mags, and I just plain like the looks of the rifle! I'd prefer a different gas system, though...

I thank you for your opinions and suggestions. If you need more info from me, please ask. I'll try to respond as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone care to comment?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
MEGA lower from Carricoaarmory.com fro $89 shipped (EXCellent comp, by the way!)

JTD or M1S M-4 kit w/ 6 pos stock, and chrome lined 16in bbl w/ A2 FH; 1-in-9 twist
($500+-$600+)
(this is the easiest rout in my opinion)

if not, i would recommend a 1-9 twist; phantom or vortex FH, 16 in bbl(chrome lined!!!, best of both worlds, cause you get a LOT better velocity and range than 14.5 and its more compact than a 20in bbl), standard trigger and bolt, M-4 Stock (Vltor if you can spend the $$$s),

good luck
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]
i'm still on my 1st ar.  i'd go with a 16" a3 with as lightweight a 1:7 barrell as i could get.

welcome!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The comments are interesting to me. Thanks a bunch for the replies!

I had originally thought that I'd get a 20" barrel, but everyone is suggesting a 16". I had always planned to get a chrome lined one (bore and chamber), with the 5.56 chamber.  I'm a bit of a freak for being able to hit at a distance if necessary (I've been in too many situations in the military where I wished for something with a longer range), so that's why the longer barrel. However, I'm going to research the 16" more closely.

I had always planned to "roll my own", either the lower, upper, or both. So, the special tools are already factored in. I understand though that most "parts kits" have the barrel installed into the upper, test fired, & headspace checked. Is this not so, then?

As funds are always extremely limited, I had planned on going with a "Model 1 Sales" parts kit w/ upper, unless there was a cheaper option (as long as the parts are of the same or better quality). Should I be looking into a different company, and planning to spend more accordingly? Basically, are the "Model 1" parts kits worth the $400+ they want for them?

I noticed that only one responder mentioned a type of upper receiver; the "A3" or flat-top. I'm not adverse to them, but I do require having iron sights on the rifle for backup, at a minimum. I've always heard that the iron sights for flat-tops are fragile, not as easy to use as the A2 sights, not as many adjustments, etc. Is this accurate, or bunk? I'm talking about the run-of-the-mill add-on sights now, not the $3-400+ match dealies. If I get the flat-top, should I get a "carry handle" attachment, or are they a waste of $100?  How good are the scope mounts that mount onto the carry handles on the A2 style? Are they hard to see through the scope/need a cheek pad?

Thanks again for the excellent info!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The comments are interesting to me. Thanks a bunch for the replies!

I noticed that only one responder mentioned a type of upper receiver; the "A3" or flat-top. I'm not adverse to them, but I do require having iron sights on the rifle for backup, at a minimum. I've always heard that the iron sights for flat-tops are fragile, not as easy to use as the A2 sights, not as many adjustments, etc. Is this accurate, or bunk? I'm talking about the run-of-the-mill add-on sights now, not the $3-400+ match dealies. If I get the flat-top, should I get a "carry handle" attachment, or are they a waste of $100?  How good are the scope mounts that mount onto the carry handles on the A2 style? Are they hard to see through the scope/need a cheek pad?

Thanks again for the excellent info!

Dont waste your time with the carry handle.  Get a ARMS#40 BUIS for a few bucks less and you'll still have irons until you get an Aimpoint or EOTech.  I got the #40 flip up and I couldnt be more happy with it.  Just make sure you loctite it down
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Sound like you have a nice project planned this fall. With regards to your .308 purchase - I recommend you look at the JLD PTR 91 rifle rather than a CETME. I recently picked one up after unsatisfactory experience's with the CETME's and can not believe the difference in quality. The JLD's are more money than a CETME but not only do they work but in my opinion they compare very favorably (perhaps better in fit and finish) to the $2500-$3500 HK91.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top