Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2004 12:34:05 PM EDT
Well I was all ready to go with a Bushmaster Patrolman's Flat top 16" upper, and then I saw the LMT uppers. Hell I can't make up my mind now! Well there are the obvious differences (LMT has 1/7 vs 1/9, etc... Now can the 55 gr. ammo be shot through the 1/7, with any accuracy? That may make my decision right there? What do the M4 feed ramps do? I am sure they enhance loading to make them more reliable, right? Just wondered what were some of the opinions out there, so I can make my damn decision.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1/7 barrels shoot 55 gr XM193 plenty accurately.  There was a good discussion about 1/9 vs 1/7 not too long ago and people have shot all the way down to 40gr bullets out of 1/7 barrels.  The only thing to avoid are the thin jacketed varmint rounds.  

If this new upper may be used for SHTF or self defense purposes then go with the LMT so you can have the option to use the best 5.56 available.  IMHO, the 1/7 will give you more options and you will not miss anything from the 1/9...

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned above.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=190881

As for the M4 feed ramps, some people feel they are not really need and they're right as long as you use the proper ammo and your magazines are in excellent working order.

In my experience the M4 feed ramps makes your carbinre more reliable and tolerent to a wider variety or ammo and magazines of conditon.  It's not a need for a range gun but I'd certainly want on a gun I'll bet my life on.

If I was buying a new carbine upper I'd want the M4 feed ramps because I view them as a real product improvement.  

Here's an excellent thread with alot of good info on the M4 extended feed ramps.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i had the same problem.  i finally went with the LMT form wes at MSTN  when i found out that the 1/7 would shoot XM193 acuratly.   i do have a a bushy m4rgry and have not had any problems with it.  my LMT comes in some time in the next 3 to 4 days.  so  ill have to see what i like better.
Remman
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had both and I think LMT has the edge. Better overall quality and the M4 feed ramps were a big plus for me because I had failure to feed issues in the Bushy due to the ramps.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a LMT CQBR with LMT Std bolt group. The extractor spring it comes with does not do the job.  End up using an extra power spring from a colt source.  My friend has the same upper and he went with bushmaster bolt group.  He is doing fine without replacing the extractor spring. After this and having difficulties with their enhanced bolt,    I think their stuff is a bit overrated. Afterall, they are the guys that make stuff for other brands for years. When other brands has problem, they are the contractor that screw up in the first place.  They are not bad but not the best thing since sliced bread.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Bushmaster.    Long history, their stuff works, it's cheaper and same quality (or better), and you can get a 1/7 Bushmaster barrel in 14.5.  My Bushmasters equal my Colts in performance.  LMT needs to work out their bugs and mature in the civvy market.  Or heck, check out RRA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
CMMG is your best bet for the price.  Chrome lined, 1 in 7 twist, 4150 steel with feedramps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top