Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 4:52:14 AM EDT
I want to purchase an accurate, reliable, quality-made AR rifle primarily for target shooting at 100 yards and would like your recommendations.

I would prefer a DCM model with a detachable handle so I could mount a scope, a bipod, and a relatively heavy rifle.  With a DCM model I could get involved in some competitive shooting.

My rifle experience up to this point has been 6mmBR and .308 benchrest.  I'm obsessed with hitting the bullseye and laying one bullet on top of another (I'm still working on that last one).

So far, I'm considering:
Les Baer Varmiter (but no handle)
Les Baer Thunder Ranch (only weighs 7 lbs and no bipod)
Bushmaster DCM (no detachable handle)
Bushmaster Varmiter (no handle)
Compass Lake custom

What are your recommendations?

Dennis Carter
703-449-8086
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Compass Lake, IMHO.

Excellent reputation for accuraccy and DCM rifles.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Dennis --

You need a "space gun" not a CMP gun.  CMP rules require the rifle look exactly like the M16A2 which means a fixed receiver handle.  Space gun rules are much more liberal.

Find the competitive shooting section.

There's at least one benchrest sub 1/4" group at 200 yards with this rifle, maybe more, so there's lots of accuracy available.  But not in the service rifle (CMP) variety.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Compass Lake or Les Baer.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
www.jprifles.com.......for function, accuracy, and the darn prettiest rifles out there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up ordering a Les Baer Super Match with a 20" barrel and 1 in 9 twist.  In fact, I also ordered a Thunder Ranch (16" barrel and 1 in 8 twist).  The Super Match will be here this week and the TR will take about 2 months.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what scope I want.  I want to be able use the scope for both rifles, so I'd like quick-release mounts.  The objective lens must be large enough so I can see where the bullets land at least at 100 yards.  I'd prefer a ballistic lens of some type.

I'm considering:
Leupold Tactical, probably the Var III 4 x 14 40mm.
Leupold Tactical Mark IV, not sure exactly which one...some of those are pricey.
Burris Fullfield II 4 x 14 42mm with the Ballistic Plex recticle.
Burris Black Diamond 4 x 14 40mm with the MilDot recticle.
Someone recommended the TASCO Super Sniper.  It seems like a pretty good deal but I'm not sure I can trust the quality...just the name TASCO gets me.
Someone else recommended the Springfield .223 tactical scope but, I've heard some criticism of their scopes in general.

So, if you have any scope recommendations, let me know.  I'll probably order something on Monday so I'll be able to shoot the rifle next weekend.

This is a great site.  Thanks for all your help.
Dennis D. Carter
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got a super sniper from SWFA riflescopes.com and I really like it.  The optics are bright and clear.  The adjustment knobs are good.  Overall I think it is a hell of a deal.  The best thing - It doesn't say "Tasco" on it anywhere as far as I can see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top