Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2006 10:35:14 PM EDT
First scope on AR and I need some wisdom from those of you who know.

I have a Simmons 3x9x50 that I would like to mount without breaking the bank. If I put a YHM 1/2 inch scope riser on and then high rise scope mount with integral rings from RRA, will this give me enough clearance for the 50 mm scope? Reason being for the YHM riser is so that I can move the scope mount forward if need be. I am afraid that the scope is going to be to high to be comfortable. I am wanting to set this gun up for coyote hunting and plan on pretty much keeping it that way.

Please, any suggestions are welcome, I am so cofused.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The RRA mount is already pretty high and mounting it on a 1/2 raiser will make it too high to get a good cheek weld. I would look into the Armalite mount which will allow you to set the scope a little farther forward then with the RRA mount as it is not cantilevered.
It should clear your 50mm scope as it did when I had one on my AR10 and they sit at the same height as the A2 sights so you get a good cheek weld.
If you have to use a raiser to get the scope far enough forward you could just use a set of  rings and tailor the height to what you want.

here is a thread with a couple of pics of the armalite mount on a rifle.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=308386
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Armalite. I like a good cheek weld, same as irons on an AR.
The  Armalite is stout and can be moved forward and the front ring is aready forward a bit.
Done the riser & rings thing, less is more, as said above do the Armalite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
+2
The Armalite's a pretty good mount; well made, and won't stick your wallet too bad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, That settles it.

Armalite definitely seems like a more sturdy option.

Thanks for all the info guys! I really apreciate it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top