Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 5:09:31 PM EDT
Hi guys,

I'm needing to find some info or suggestions when it comes to installing a Gas Block on an AR barrel without removing the muzzle device.....  I'm using a Larue 7.0 rail on a 14.5" Bushmaster Barrel, and since I've already removed the muzzle device once and installed a Vortex FH permanently , I'm trying not remove the muzzle device again.  So can anyone give me any suggestions on what type of "clamp on style" Gas Block would work using a Larue Rail, in which I wouldn't need to remove the Vortex FH?  Any info or suggestions if greatly appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat you are.  Check out the offerings from Yankee Hill.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Larue 7" handguard.  I don't know if you need a low profile gas block or not.  If you don't, yankee hill has a couple of two piece gas blocks.  One has a rail on it and the other has a flip up sight.  Both are nice and robust and under $100 each.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks TonyAngel!   I was looking on YHM website and ran across the Specter Gas Block which looks like it might work....  but I need to find out if anyone knows if it will work with a Larue 7.0?

**EDIT**  I just read that the inside diameter of a Larue rail is 1.20" , and the Specter Gas Block needs the diameter of the forearm to be 1-5/8"...so it's looking like I'm screwed! Damn, I really wasn't wanting to remove the pin and welded Vortex FH  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:56:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Fearless, it might help if we better understood what your end goal is?

Are you simply trying to get rid of the fixed FSB or are you going to be installing a different rail or?

Me personally I would do what I could to save the pinned on FSB as it's much more secure then any clamp on version (especially the 2 piece types). You can just cut down the FSB into a low-pro gas block but it depends on what you're going for in the end?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Airgunner,

What I was trying to do was remove an older FF rail, install a new Larue 7.0 Rail, and keep all the remaining the same. When I first installed the older rail I removed the pinned and welded Izzy brake, cut down the pinned on FSB, installed the older FF rail, and then had a Vortex FH pinned and welded back on.  After thinking more about this last night, I have to agree with you that I think I would be better off using the pinned on FSB I have already cut down.......  And of course the only way to do this is remove the pinned and welded Vortex I already put on....  So I think I'm just going to grind down where the spot welds were made on the FH, take out the pins, and remove the FH completely.  Of course once the new Rail is on and everything is put back together, I'm going to have to pin and spot weld the Vortex FH back on again.

So much for looking for an "easy" route!  lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top