Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 1:17:55 PM EDT
I was at the range today and ran into a problem with my AR that I have yet experienced.  The trigger got "stuck" and would not pull enough for the gun to fire.  The trigger would pull just a very marginal amount but it was not sufficient to cause the hammer to go forward for the round to fire.

The other problem that I have been having that occurred at the same time as this problem is that the safety refuses to go to the "safe" position.  It is stuck in the "fire" position, and, much like the trigger, the safety lever will move a fractional amount but it will not move enough to safe the rifle.

After I got off the range and disassembled the rifle, I was successfully able to dry fire the rifle but it still does not work as it should.  I will be able to dry fire it, will put the bolt forward again, but the trigger will not pull the second time.  If I tried long enough it would eventually pull again but again it was not as consistent as it should be.  Even after disassembling it, the safety will still not go forward and it remains stuck in the "fire" position.

I checked the springs and everything but there did not seem to be anything that is broken, but I am not too familiar with all of the inner workings of the AR so I might not be looking in the right spot to figure out what the problem is.

EDIT: I have tried racking the charging handle to see if the safety and trigger would function properly, but I still am having this problem.  The trigger still refuses to work correctly and the safety still will not go to safe.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Could there be a blown primer wedged in there jamming things up?

Also, if the hammer isn't cocked, the selector won't go into the "SAFE" position. It is the way it is designed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it ended up being a blown primer.  It had wedged itself into a spring assembly so that I could not see that it was there until I had fully disassembled it and inspected it with a flashlight.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
 Glad it wasn't too serious.  You always have to check everything possible before panicking.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top