Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 3:14:37 PM EDT
I plan to buy a NM/CMP legal AR for service rifle competition. I've researched most of the
major players building these guns and favor the
Rock River at this point. In the end I want a
top performer at the best value I can find, but
I won't skimp on the cash if thats what it takes to get a real tight shooter. Initialy I had only looked at the Bushmaster, but they are not coming off the price of their guns--cause
they don't have to--and they are swamped so bad at this point, if something isn't right I don't
want to wait 10 months to get it back--or something like that. Building one from scratch
is out of the question, I want to buy one ready to roll. So please tell me your pick, what you would and would'nt buy, your opinions suggestions or whatever. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You have answered your own question,Rock River or better yet a Rock River tuned by White Oak Precision. See the competition forum.HTH
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, I totaly overlooked the
competition forum
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rock River is the way to go like the other poster says. The RR has a better trigger and float tube than the Bushmaster and if you work at it, costs less than the Bushmaster. With the Bushmaster you will be very dissapointed in the trigger and will end up replacing it right off to bat more than likely.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Im in the same boat.. and I have read just about every post on this board on the topic... as well as from nationalmatch.us  You have come to the same conclusion I have.  I plan to get a Rock River NM lower (from KY Guns for $259 - best price I saw unless you want to get one with U.S. Property stamped on it from Legal Transfers for $314.... anyone wanna convince me I should pay the extra $55???)  Then get a plan to get a RR NM upper ($556 from Adco - other were within $5 but Adco has them in stock).  I plan to send the trigger to John at White Oak... but he says to shoot it up a bit first.  

I am almost convinced this is what I am going to do... and believe me I am a VERY difficult person when it comes to making decisions.  The only thing on my mind is spending the extra $300 and getting an upper directly from White Oak... Since Im a newbie I have been assured I wont know the difference in accuracy until its time for a new barrel,but should I go ahead and get it now so 1) I learn on the best, and 2) I dont have this nagging sensation that I could have not skimped and gotten the better upper.

A guy at my club shoots a stock Bushmaster DCM with Masters scores and is not feeling limited by the rifle (which can do 1/2 moa with good ammo)... so I dont see a big reason to pay the extra $300 right now... I too dont mind spending... but I think its better spent on another 1000 rounds of ammo... or a nice KOWA scope.

Ok - I've rambled WAY too much...
But please - tell me what you guys would do different... --Jeremy
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Amen Brother, I want to save as much as I can
so I can Buy more STUFF! I too will research
a product to the ends of the earth before I buy,
sounds like you have a solid plan. Anyone have
a take on Armalite's NM rifle?  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I'm going to make the plunge and get a DCM upper for my Bushmaster. I like the price of the RRA upper. I don't want to break the bank with equipment purchases to start out with. I've been shooting benchrest for 3 yrs an d I went full scale to start with and now I have a lot of money in equipment that I don't use much, (including $2400 on a rifle). Do you all have a POC for ADCO or somewhere that might have a RRA DCM upper in stock. TIA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you all have a POC for ADCO or somewhere that might have a RRA DCM upper in stock.
View Quote

[url]www.adcofirearms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO: You get what you pay for.  The lower don't matter.  The Trigger is your personal preferance.  What matters is the upper.

CLE:  Frank White....Excellent Gunsmith
Accuracy Speaks: Derrick Martin...Excellent Gunsmith
WhiteOak Precision:  John Holliger:  Excellent Gunsmith.

There are others that build AR uppers but when you go to Camp Perry these are the Gunsmiths that compete on the line with everyone else and will take the time to talk to you about what works.  They know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top