Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2013 7:42:55 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any experience using a sling for supported shooting from prone, kneeling, or sitting, using Blue Force Gear's Universal Wire Loop (UWL)? I am, after more than 2 years, having my AR-10's handguard returned to its original A2 glory. I just got tired of how the free float tube acted like a heat sink with the receiver, got too cold in the winter, and added 19 ounces to the overall weight of the rifle. I shoot NRA High Power, and I had never used a sling for support on the AR-10 until I got the free float, and being able to use the sling to steady the rifle helped my aim tremendously. I doubt, however, that the free floated barrel made that much of a difference, as I also shot a 375/500 with a Bulgarian AK-74, using military surplus ammo, by wrapping the sling, and the attachment point on that thing is that extension off of the barrel band / handguard end cap.

Am I correct in assuming that the POI shift would be less if the sling is attached to the handguard (M14/M1 Garand-style), than directly to the barrel via the front sight tower? I know some folks set up their sling with the UWL this way;

Is it safe to say that this would cause more of a POI shift than a stock attachment?

I have one of the UWL (short one), and I was thinking first that attaching the sling to the A2 handguard would make the possible POI shift less, and I was wondering about setting it up by looping it through one of these handguard adapter (using the UWL instead of a noisy HK hook), like this:

If anybody has tried this, would this be a good option for a support sling? I don't apply huge pressure to the sling, but I do work out a lot and would be afraid I might damage the handguards.

In the alternative, I was wondering whether setting it up with a QD sling swivel would be suitable. I sure do like the looks of the QD, but I worry about noise, and whether the QD attachment is tough enough for extended periods of using the sling to steady the rifle. I would use a QD setup like this one:

Both of these attachments are from Impact Weapons and get great reviews, but I was just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with using any of these options for NRA High Power sling support.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The Universal Wire Loop would crawl under NRA High Power rules, while standard front sling mounts and float tube sling mounts are obviously within the rules.

The latter two options you have pictured are not allowed under High Power/Service Rifle, but you could use them under High Power/Match Rifle. Some match directors enforce the rules, some don't.

Slings mounted to a handguard will still affect POI, but not to the extent that they do mounted to the front sight sling swivel.

I have no float tube on my High Power service rifle. I'm the only one on the firing line who doesn't. But for Slow Fire Prone and Rapid Fire Prone, where I sling up tight, I go two clicks right on windage to compensate. For Rapid Fire Sitting, where my sling's a little looser, I go one click right. For Offhand, with no sling, I go back to my no-wind zero for windage.

I would recommend re-installing the standard sling loop on your front sight base.

For more NRA High Power specifics, click on the "Training" tab above, then go to High Power/DCM/CMP.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top