Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 11:21:16 AM EDT
What differs a NM lower from a A2 lower? What is a good price on a NM Complete lower?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Possibly only the trigger and very likely nothing else.  A NM may have a two stage or they may add the "NM" for marketing hype, much like they do with cars - GT, etc.  IMO, there's no reason to buy a NM lower receiver.  Get a standard one and install the two stage yourself.  You'd probably save some money.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Possibly only the trigger and very likely nothing else.  A NM may have a two stage or they may add the "NM" for marketing hype, much like they do with cars - GT, etc.  IMO, there's no reason to buy a NM lower receiver.  Get a standard one and install the two stage yourself.  You'd probably save some money.

Pretty much what Mongo said.  I checked my Armalite M15A2NM (National Match) and the only difference looks to be a mated upper and 2 stage trigger.

Don't burn me on it either... I picked it up really cheap.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much what Mongo said.  I checked my Armalite M15A2NM (National Match) and the only difference looks to be a mated upper and 2 stage trigger.

A true Armalite lower receiver, not an Eagle?  I'd like to get one, but I don't want to buy a whole rifle just to get a receiver.  I'd end up disassembling/recycling and/or reselling off the nonessentials of the upper and lower anyway, and that is a PITA sometimes.  Good for you on the Armalite find.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Give you a big clue, the term NM refers to a overall rifles or parts used by the government to bring there rifles up to match ready grade a long time ago.  Now a days, everyone and there brother use the term for god only know what thing, and most often is just a selling factor to just charge more money for the same parts as the non special parts.

Now having stated that, a DCM/CMP rifle (NM) is not a piece or part, but the correct fitting of the parts that completes a rifle capable of being competitive for matches shooting.  In regards to a match receiver, it's not just a certain type of lower, but the fit of the lower to the upper that produces a tight locking pair.  Simple put, you grab a lower receiver, then start trying to find a upper receiver that fits the lower tightly. If you are not buying complete tight fitting lower/upper combo, then for the best bet, a RRA receiver may be the ticket.  On theses, the receiver is milled with area's that require the upper to mate in (front take down lug ears milled with less space between them, and the width of the rear take down lug very tight when adding any other upper.

To sum it up, the only thing/part on a receiver that would be NM is just the NM that may be marked on the side. In short, before you get screwed by a supplier, gives us a idea of what you are trying to build, the purpose for the rig, and what items that you have in mind.  With this, we can go threw your list with suggestions of what parts may be ideal, and what parts you may want to replace to get the most out of the rifle. Again, just because a part is marked NM or meant as a NM, does not mean simple adding this part will make the rifle into a Match rifle, it’s the overall build and choice of parts that produces a Nation Match rifle.

To add: if you really want a match grade produced receiver, you are into race gun territory.  Here setscrews are added to the receiver to allow them to be tightened to make the upper/lower beyond rock tight.  The only draw back is this type of receiver is for HP shooting, and not a CMP legal service rifle, since the outer appearance of the receiver is nothing like that of the standard service receiver.

One more thing,
A complete NM offered receiver just means that the standard trigger group has been replaced with some sort of two-stage design.  If you plan on using this rifle for CMP matches, then the best choice is a Jewel trigger group, and most of the standard suppliers do not offer this trigger.  Instead, they mostly offer non-adjustable two stage triggers that are less than ideal since they lack a quick way to reset the trigger if/when you fail a trigger pull test at the matches, And at best, a smith/polishing to truly get then up to match grade requirements.

Hope this helps,
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A true Armalite lower receiver, not an Eagle?  I'd like to get one, but I don't want to buy a whole rifle just to get a receiver.  I'd end up disassembling/recycling and/or reselling off the nonessentials of the upper and lower anyway, and that is a PITA sometimes.  Good for you on the Armalite find.

This was a complete Armalite (Lion on the front ) M15.  Happens to be the first AR15 I ever owned too.  I bought here on the EE and it was so cheap (imagine about 3/5 retail).

In some ways I wish Armalite would sell just lowers by name, but I understand them wanting to keep the name up by selling only complete rifles.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top