Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 2:05:53 PM EDT
In a nutshell...I'm starting my first AR build.

There is so much to learn that it is overwhelming...so I'm starting small with this question.

I need an lower parts kit, CA compliant with a mag lock (preferably, or I can buy one separately), but I plan to buy a grip from Tyrant or some other "designer" label so I don't want to pay for a standard grip that I won't be using.

I ordered 2 of the billet AR15 lowers from 80% Lowers and 1 classic LPK (CA compliant) just to get me started (yes I know it has a grip, oh well...at least I will have everything to make the gun functional for now).

I don't shoot a lot, and have no brand allegiance or preference...I just want a good quality kit to grow with. As it stands I'm thinking DD, but I'm open to suggestions...although please don't throw out 50 of them...just the one that you like "best."

Also, if I don't want the grip...how would I piece together the rest of the parts...or are they even sold as a kit with everything I need minus the grip?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The bad news:  You have a misunderstanding of current CA law that might cause you some trouble down the road.

1) CA DOJ AW Definition.  If sounds like you are building a rifle that meets the definition of an "Assault Weapon" in CA.  Meaning that it has a standard AR 'pistol' grip, and a detachable magazine.  The fact that you are putting a bullet button on it is inconsequential (and a waste of time) since CA has deemed that the "Bullet Button" no longer meets the requirements to defeat their assault weapon definition.

2) Registration.  While the registration itself has been pushed back due to CA's slow implementation of their own regulations, it doesn't change the fact that a "bullet button'd" AR15 would have had to have been in state in your possession prior to this year.  You've missed the cut off.  That's why bullet button AR15's are no longer being sold in your local gun stores.

In short, you're building what CA considers to be an assault weapon, and unless you're going to lie about when you built it, you won't be able to register it when registration opens.   If that's the way you wanna roll, more power to you.

The Good News:  You can make your build a "CA Featureless" rifle, and not only avoid the need for registration (because it won't be defined as an assault weapon), but also -and far more significantly- KEEP A STANDARD MIL-SPEC MAGAZINE RELEASE
To accomplish this, you'll need 3 things for your build:
1) No flash hider.  If your barrel came with a flash hider, it's a simple matter to remove it and replace it with a muzzle brake
2) No adjustable or folding stock.  You'll need a FIXED stock.
3) No standard AR15 pistol grips that can be grasped with the webbed area between your thumb and index finger.  You can replace the standard grip with any number of CA-Compliant "featureless" grips...such as the Monsterman, Hammer Head, various kydex wrap 'fins', or my personal favorite - the Strike Industries "Simple" grip (a great deal @ $9.99).

If ANY of this doesn't make sense to you, please ask questions.  Further, you might want to explore CALGUNS.net which is also a wealth of information on featureless builds and registration of CA AW's.

If anyone wants to fact check anything I've said here, please feel free to let me know - thanks!

ETA:  And regarding LPK's....you can easily purchase an LPK without a grip and/or a trigger.  I typically do that with all my builds since I know I'll be using a non-standard grip, and I prefer aftermarket triggers from Geissele, Hyperfire, and ELF.  CMMG is a quality maker of LPK's without grips and triggers, and they can usually be purchased for $25-40.  Try Brownells....or any number of other sellers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the heads up Hollywood...and perhaps I do have a misunderstanding, which I'm sure I will have many along the way...but I was lead to believe by my local gun shop that using the ARMagLock is the alternative to going featureless.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you Pariah...but I would still need a trigger assembly and I'm sure something else I can't think of right now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-lower-receiver-parts-kit-no-pistol-grip-si-ar-lrpth

I found this on their site...would this be everything else I need?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe ALG offers lower parts kits either with or without the pistol grip. Haven't heard anything but positive reviews on their kits.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe ALG offers lower parts kits either with or without the pistol grip. Haven't heard anything but positive reviews on their kits.
View Quote
Thanks..I'll look into them
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problem. Everything from ALG is good to go. Great company.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you for the heads up Hollywood...and perhaps I do have a misunderstanding, which I'm sure I will have many along the way...but I was lead to believe by my local gun shop that using the ARMagLock is the alternative to going featureless.
View Quote
Ok, yes...with the ARMaglock installed, you will be ok.  The ARMaglock allows you avoid tge CA DOJ definition of an AW by building a rifle that requires the upper and lower to be separated for the magazine to be removed.  You probably already know that.  But yes then you are good to go...I misunderstood your first post and gathered you were going to.install a bullet button. 

So.proceed as you were.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok, yes...with the ARMaglock installed, you will be ok.  The ARMaglock allows you avoid tge CA DOJ definition of an AW by building a rifle that requires the upper and lower to be separated for the magazine to be removed.  You probably already know that.  But yes then you are good to go...I misunderstood your first post and gathered you were going to.install a bullet button. 

So.proceed as you were.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up anyway...I'd rather someone say something than me "do time" lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks again...I would still need to get a trigger...and from the other threads I'm seeing that is a whole other can of worms.

Any suggestions on a trigger for a NEWB?...I can get into the fancy stuff as my preferences develop. As for now I just want good quality, and reliable, also a company with a good manufacturing rep for their parts going in with any surprises.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks again...I would still need to get a trigger...and from the other threads I'm seeing that is a whole other can of worms.

Any suggestions on a trigger for a NEWB?...I can get into the fancy stuff as my preferences develop. As for now I just want good quality, and reliable, also a company with a good manufacturing rep for their parts going in with any surprises.
View Quote
In that case it's hard to beat a LaRue MBT Trigger -- not quite as fancy as some of the more expensive triggers, but fancy enough that you might decide it's the perfect trigger for you and never bother with anything else.  By all accounts, it's a great trigger.  Unfortunately you missed the recent $99 sale on them, but they are still a great deal at $125 http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In that case it's hard to beat a LaRue MBT Trigger -- not quite as fancy as some of the more expensive triggers, but fancy enough that you might decide it's the perfect trigger for you and never bother with anything else.  By all accounts, it's a great trigger.  Unfortunately you missed the recent $99 sale on them, but they are still a great deal at $125 http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger
View Quote
Thanks again for the help...I'll start with LaRue as my first "ugraded" trigger. There is one that is coming with my 80%Lowers lpk...but it will be nice to feel the difference.

I have to say that I appreciate the help you guys have given...I belong to several boards for other things and you usually get a mixed bag of posters...from the very helpful, to the "use the search function" types. For a guy like me who is new to the world of ARs it is a case of paralysis by analysis when looking at things. All of the threads look the same, the parts have extremely subtle differences that the untrained eye can't discern, and there are acronyms for everything lol. Having a place where you can ask a straight forward question and you can get a straight forward response is invaluable...so thanks again.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top