Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 4:02:13 PM EDT
Well, I just got back from the range and have what seems like major issues w/ my sights:

I traded my way into a flat-top upper (dpms 16" w/ A2 bird cage 1x9).  With some C-mas money I bought an ARMS #40L rear and a YHM rail mounted front flip-up buis's.

*I think* that I mounted everything correctly.  I also bought a RRA combo b,c,ch to complete the set-up.  That should be sufficient info for my help.

Here is what happened:

I set out a target at ~50yds and had also set out some bowling pins around 20-25yds away.
I figured since the range was packed (outdoor) I would see if I was close to 'on paper' by firing at a pin.  After 3-5 rds and no hits at 25yds I finally saw dirt/grass fly about 2.5' (feet-high) above the pin.

I continued shooting thru-out the time there and came to the conclusion that after maxing out the elevation on my front sight that at ~100yds my rifle was shooting at least 4-5' (feet not a mistake)high.

On the way out the pistol bay opened up so I tooks some rounds and shot from 10yds and shot a 3rd off hand group about 3"(inches) high  and then proceeded to shoot another 3rd group another 3" higher at 15yds.

I also maxed out my elevation the other way (down) just to be sure and then shot approx. 16" high at 15yds--this proved that I was making elevation adjustments the correct way.

What to do???
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Again I say, "HELP!"

I have been thinking about one aspect:

At one time I was intersted in Cetme's and remember people experiencing a pretty drastic poi shift when they took off the orig. flash hider and replaced it w/ another.

Anyone had this experience w/ the AR and going from A2 bird cage to a YHM 5C2?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It's possible you need a taller front sight post.  That would explain why the bullets are hitting too high.  Some people have found they need this when installing an ARMS #40.

You can get one through Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks El roto and a couple of others for replying.

I figured out what mistake I have made--maybe this will help others:

I bought the one on the left, needed to buy the one on the right--that simple!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top