Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 11:31:06 AM EDT
I have always like the look of the Mod 0 SPR but like some other features not found on it so here is my take:

My build:

PRI Rifle length carbon FF tube

PRI flip front sight/gas block

PRI Gas Buster charging handle

PRI/MSTN quiet brake

1:8 Wilson stainless steel 20" NM barrel

Vltor A1 length fixed stock

Swan SPR rail

Harris bipod with pod lock on Swan quick release

ARMS 40L BUIS

Leupold Midrange 3X9 Tactical scope

JP single stage match trigger

JP tactical 416 bolt

JP point sight

Stag lower receiver

White Oak upper receiver

Sierra Precison grip

assorted bits and pieces from White Oak, Magpul and KNS...

and thanks to ADCO for making it possible!!!

how does it shoot you ask?

Today's range report: with Black Hills 69 grain SMK, 0.5 - 1 MoA groups out to 600 yards. I am pretty happy with the performance

The colored stag head is for all you antler haters
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful rifle.  

Fear the deer.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweet build! I like the fluted barrel and brake combo you used.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Srictly my opinion but...

Its not an SPR if it does not have an 18" barrel.

Its not an SPR if it does not use a reflex suppressor with a collar.

I would call that a SAM-R derivative before an SPR though its farfrom that too.  Perhaps call it SAM/SPR.  I dunno.

Why does everyone have to call their rifle an SPR, SAM-R, Recces Pieces or whatever?  It either IS a copy of the unit or its just another rifle you threw together.  I say come up with your own name because thats not an SPR.  Lie the guys with the 16" HBAR calling it an M4.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Srictly my opinion but...

Its not an SPR if it does not have an 18" barrel.

Its not an SPR if it does not use a reflex suppressor with a collar.

I would call that a SAM-R derivative before an SPR though its farfrom that too.  Perhaps call it SAM/SPR.  I dunno.

Why does everyone have to call their rifle an SPR, SAM-R, Recces Pieces or whatever?  It either IS a copy of the unit or its just another rifle you threw together.  I say come up with your own name because thats not an SPR.  Lie the guys with the 16" HBAR calling it an M4.

Tough room.................
how about we call such rifles "spr" instead of "SPR".  The lower case initials will still be true (that is one damm fine looking rifle with a special purpose) but not infirnge upon the trademark!!!!!........
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Just call it a precision rifle or precision tacical rifle or tactical squirrel shooter or ground hog nut buster.  Come up with a more original name.

Once you drop below 50% of the parts on the SPR with up grades anymore its something else.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice rifle and according to your range report it's a shooter.  I guess Wilson barrels aren't all that bad.  
BTW:  Why fret over nomenclature?  It's an Ar15
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Your Bi-Pod is on backward.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
How about SPRgery?    Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
In my reading about an SPR is that it would "look" like what the other ground pounder rifle would have "aka" a stock AR15 or a m4, however the highly prized sniper of the group would not be singled out in the group because of his rifle and looks like everyone else in the group. The SPR would look (same profile) like a stock rifle, but it is far from stock and has the capability to engage targets accurately up to 600 meters.  

With that said, my concept build of a SPR is a full length hand guard, with a DCM float tube, Wilson 18" SPR 1/7 SS barrel, A2 flash suppressor, M4 stock and optics built by WOA. Like I said, looks are deceiving. Here's my take on a SPR IMO
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In my reading about an SPR is that it would "look" like what the other ground pounder rifle would have "aka" a stock AR15 or a m4, however the highly prized sniper of the group would not be singled out in the group because of his rifle and looks like everyone else in the group. The SPR would look (same profile) like a stock rifle, but it is far from stock and has the capability to engage targets accurately up to 600 meters.

I don't know what comic book you were reading, but the SPR looks very different from a stock "ground pounder's" rifle...

Your version is less noticeable to the enemy, huh?  SS barrel and no front sight tower huh?  collapsible stock on a 20"??  Blends in really well...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Hineline,
instead of jumping to stupid "you broke the law and I'm better than you" posts
look a little closer, I would bet money that is electrical tape to cover the serial #
for the pictures he was planning on posting on the board. But if he hadn't I'm sure somebody else  would chime in with the "Your serial numbers are on the internet and they'll get reported stolen and then you'll be sodomized in prison" posts.
Nice rifle heron  and never mind the "board bitches"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Hineline,
instead of jumping to stupid "you broke the law and I'm better than you" posts
look a little closer, I would bet money that is electrical tape to cover the serial #
for the pictures he was planning on posting on the board. But if he hadn't I'm sure somebody else  would chime in with the "Your serial numbers are on the internet and they'll get reported stolen and then you'll be sodomized in prison" posts.
Nice rifle heron  and never mind the "board bitches"

He was joking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Too bad someone defaced the serial number making the firearm illegal.

The serial number is not modified or removed in any way. He put a piece of electrical tape over it so it would't show up in the pics. Its no more hidden than if the rifle were in its case.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:31:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
...my concept build of a SPR is a full length hand guard, with a DCM float tube, Wilson 18" SPR 1/7 SS barrel, A2 flash suppressor, M4 stock and optics built by WOA. Like I said, looks are deceiving.  

Nice.  Very sneaky!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Too bad someone defaced the serial number making the firearm illegal.

The serial number is not modified or removed in any way. He put a piece of electrical tape over it so it would't show up in the pics. Its no more hidden than if the rifle were in its case.

I  have dealt with this guy before - He reminds me of "little johnny" take a good look and get the whole story before opening up...

but as other report - this is the internet - assclowns love to troll stage one is shitting on someones post, stage two is starting with personal attacks...

thanks for the good comments and observations guys

I mount the bipod that way as I find it quicker to pull the legs out then back - - I usually tie a piece of 550 cord between the legs with a loop for this purpose.

Agreed it not the "SPR" but rather my "spr" - - I don't like the Ops style brake as far as function as a brake.

And yes - raise the scope covers and the JPoint would be blocked - - tell you what though, that is the first (AND LAST) time the JPoint will be mounted on thatt rifle
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]
There isn't anything wrong with it.  It's SPRish, but not an SPR.  In fact I'd bet nobody has an SPR, no matter how hard they try, so that line of thinking is rather silly.  Most, if not all, lack the M16A1 lower receiver, if you want to be a technical nitwit.

I never liked the Mod 0 look, myself.  The only advantage, IMO, is the continuous rail which allows flexibility in the optic you choose and where you can mount it.  The Mod 0 was just a tad heavy for my taste.  Even the Mod 1 is heavy.

Additionally, the Ops brake isn't all that bad.  It isn't the best, but more than adequate.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
And yes - raise the scope covers and the JPoint would be blocked - - tell you what though, that is the first (AND LAST) time the JPoint will be mounted on thatt rifle

Just mount the butler creek scope covers so they open side ways.  

Vic
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what comic book you were reading, but the SPR looks very different from a stock "ground pounder's" rifle...

Your version is less noticeable to the enemy, huh?  SS barrel and no front sight tower huh?  collapsible stock on a 20"??  Blends in really well...

Here's what I was reading from the White Oak Armament web when I bought the barrel. And no it's not 20" it's 18" read what I posted.

White Oak Armament SPR Match Barrel

This SPR .223 barrel is the product of the Army's Squad Designated Marksman Rifle Development Program, which was assigned the task of improving the accuracy of the standard issue rifle against targets out to 600 meters. This would allow the valued marksman or sniper the ability to stay concealed within the squad by carrying a weapon that looked similar to the rest. It was found that by carrying a dissimilar rifle, he had become an easily recognizable high-priority target. We offer this barrel to the tactical user or casual shooter interested in the ability hit distant targets with issued or mag length ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#21]
very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#23]
CK- I thought you were saying YOUR version was more like what WOA specifies because it looks more like an M4 or M16A4, i.e. the plastic handguards...

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice rifle.  How do you like that brake?  Is it loud as hell?

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Nice rifle.  How do you like that brake?  Is it loud as hell?

Max

The call it the quiet brake.... however, if you are standing on either side....look out!

works well similar to a Miculek
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top