Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
So I got my 1,000 rounds of Wolf last week and today was the first time I went out and shot it.

Prior to this, I have about 800 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 55 grain .223 ammo through my brand new Bushmaster and I never had any problems and it shot beautifully.

Today on the second Wolf round that I fired, I had a failure to feed. No problem, the TAP/RACK/BANG technique fixed the problem quickly, but this happened several more times throughout the day which was pretty annoying to say the least. Of the ~220 rounds of Wolf that I shot today, I had at least 2 failure to feed's and failure to ejects in each mag.

Also, I noticed that the recoil with Wolf was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the Sellier & Bellot match grade ammo that I was previously shooting.

My rifle and even the mags were extremely dirty from the Wolf.

None of this is a big deal to me though and despite all of this, I still got lot's of range time for a dirt cheap price and I have no problem dealing with FTF's and FTE's once or twice during each mag that I shoot. I absolutley would never use Wolf for a SHTF situation, I already have some S&B which I know shoots beautifully in my weapon stashed away for those purposes stashed away.

I experienced first hand all of the problems with Wolf that everyone talks about, but I will still continue to shoot it because I need the extra trigger time and don't exactly have boatloads of cash to dish out for ammo twice as expensive.

Wolf has it's purpose which is cheap trigger time at the range and serves that purpose just fine. Even with all of FTE's, FTF's, etc. I still think buying Wolf ammo is worth it and I will continue to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I had problems with Wolf functioning until I changed lube for my recoil spring/buffer.
I was using grease  and switched to light oil.  No problems now with factory Bushmaster
setups.  I save the grease for my garands now.  

I prefer the 62 gr thinking I will get a bigger recoil impulse but one case(500) of
55gr went out without a hitch.  

My first 1000 rds  of 62g were almost moa at 100yds and acceptable to 300yds (no tests).  I hope it all shoots so good.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Wolf to "qualify" my guns. If it's not reliable with wolf, it needs to be fixed and I don't trust it until it can work with wolf reliably. So far I only own Colt's and an upper that I built. All the Colt's digest Wolf no problem. Haven't had time to test the upper with wolf so it's in the questionable category until I qualify it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use Wolf to "qualify" my guns. If it's not reliable with wolf, it needs to be fixed and I don't trust it until it can work with wolf reliably. So far I only own Colt's and an upper that I built. All the Colt's digest Wolf no problem. Haven't had time to test the upper with wolf so it's in the questionable category until I qualify it.

I'd agree for the most part.  If an upper will reliably cycle Wolf, you can at least be confident that it won't short cycle with other brands/types.  I've never had an issue with my RRA, DPMS, or Bushmaster uppers.  Any upper with a properly aligned gas system and tight carrier key should make due with the Wolf.  If your gas system is marginal, expect problems.  Occasionally, I find a round where the polymer coating is unusually thick in spots.  I just throw those away.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to check your mags and extractor/ejector.

I fired 240 rounds today without any problems.

You're totally right about the mags though...it's DIRTY. Even the mags were dirty.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had my DPMS lower / CMT M4 upper out last weekend with Wolf ... over 200 rounds .. including 2 30round mag dumps ... no problems here ....  This was 62 GR Wolf ..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
What should I check for on my Bushmaster that might be causing these problems with Wolf?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What should I check for on my Bushmaster that might be causing these problems with Wolf?

There's many reasons but one that I can think of is short stroking. Check out the troubleshooting section. Just went there and saw the words "Bushmaster" and "short stroking" on one of the topics. There's a myriad of reasons and it would behoove you to go check out the troubleshooting section here:

Trouble shooting link

Lots of good info. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

None of this is a big deal to me though and despite all of this, I still got lot's of range time for a dirt cheap price and I have no problem dealing with FTF's and FTE's once or twice during each mag that I shoot.

Your patience is commendable, but that is just too many.  If it is really that bad, check the rifle or get rid of that batch of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's many reasons but one that I can think of is short stroking. Check out the troubleshooting section. Just went there and saw the words "Bushmaster" and "short stroking" on one of the topics. There's a myriad of reasons and it would behoove you to go check out the troubleshooting section here:

Trouble shooting link

Thanks, i'm also going to call Bushmaster tomorrow.  Hopefully they won't say "don't shoot Wolf."
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks, i'm also going to call Bushmaster tomorrow.  Hopefully they won't say "don't shoot Wolf."

That is what I would expect them to say.  The rifle was designed for milspec ammo.  Wolf is underpowered.  Some rifles can deal with it, some cant.  Some can be tweaked to run it better.  Mine will run on Wolf most of the time.... but I do get the occasional FTF in them with Wolf, especially while bumpfiring.  Put any m193/m855 in there, and it purrs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:46:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost all I shoot is Wolf.

My 3 AR's run just fine on it. I've had a few misfires in maybe 10K rounds but other then that it's been all good!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]
If your rifle is only 99.0% to 99.9% or so with Wolf, why worry so much? It's not self defense  or match ammo. It's plinking/blasting ammo. You buy it to save money when you wanna shoot a bunch of rounds. I've never shot Wolf, but I'm thinking of giving the polymer coated stuff a try.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#13]
To date about 120 rounds of this stuff has gone through my AR, actually that is all that has been through my AR as it is new. I had no problems whatsoever. Fired 2,30 round mags as fast as I could with no problems. I wasn't going to go with Wolf but everything else in the gunshop was expensive.I have been buying the Winchester 40 round value packs from Wal-Mart ($7.74) but was thinking of buying 1,000 rds of Wolf. If I buy them I will report.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I use wolf in my Oly just fine. Its probably a short strokeing problem. Check out the troubleshooting forums and youll have it running wolf without any problems in no time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of this is a big deal to me though and despite all of this, I still got lot's of range time for a dirt cheap price and I have no problem dealing with FTF's and FTE's once or twice during each mag that I shoot.

Your patience is commendable, but that is just too many.  If it is really that bad, check the rifle or get rid of that batch of ammo.

A failure rate like that would drive me nuts.  I know they are different products but I tried the old wolf about 10 years ago and it did the same thing.  I hear the new stuff is better but I will pay the extra for brass and enjoy my range time.  Just my .02
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top