Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 5:48:11 PM EDT
Well after three years of having my lower, I finally bit the bullet and BUilt my first AR...
I haven't owned one prior to building it!

THe gun fires fine without any hiccups, except the fact that the bolt relase does not work, at all. THe last shot does not hold open... Did I do somethign wrong?

The gun fires and rapid fires fine!

I have a 20" Flat Top, CAR Stock (for the younger shooters in my family), Kit from J&T
Like it alot...
Have cheap BSA Red dot right now... will afford better optics later!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
When you assembled the lower , did you put the spring and detent in correctly ? , and
TEST IT?

Does the bolt catch engage when you operate it manually without a mag or ammo?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried a different mag? I have one mag that would not push up the bolt hold open lever its an older non-green follower G.I. mag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When you assembled the lower , did you put the spring and detent in correctly ? , and
TEST IT?

Does the bolt catch engage when you operate it manually without a mag or ammo?

+1
You might be missing a spring or cut or kinked a spring when you put it in.  It could be your magazine as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]
well I figured I did somethign worng, but the instructiosn weren't clear about how to put it in...
I'll try again
thanks

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Instructions are here------>  ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

With Pictures!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe used the wrong spring. if so, that will be a pain to re-install. sometimes the people who send out the parts kit send out a LPK that has misc. springs and missing parts. That has happend to me before.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
check functioning and proper installation of the bolt catch assy.

if thats not it then start looking into the mag springs/follower.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm no expert, but IIRC, someone had this problem and either they were using the wrong spring/buffer.  They were using a rifle buffer or spring in a carbine stock.  

Perhaps we should as this.  If you pull the bolt back manually, can you engage the bolt catch?  Does it engage with ease?

Just a couple thoughts.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Problem Fixed....

I had done everythign right... they just sent me a BOlt Catch Spring that had too much Tension on it and didn't allow the Magazine to push up the Bolt Catch. New Spring... Right Spring ANd it works just FINE!

It works great! GOt 4 new mags today, can't wait to make some noise!
-CHuck
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Gun shoots A 1.0625 " Group at 50 yards in 15 mph winds. With just a cheap red-dot, I am happy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
congrats...good news
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah... It shoots 1.5" at a hundred yards with a 2-7x32 on it... and cheap ammo
what's a good factory load if I want to get a better group?

I tried the ballistic Silvertips from Winchester which shot a 5/8" group at 100 yards!
I love the AR15!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top