Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2016 4:41:01 PM EDT
Stag 8T piston AR
1 in 7 barrel... seems this thing is loving some IMI Razor Core ammo.
All shot from 100 yards off bench. 7MPH crosswinds.

77 Grain IMI

69 Grain IMI

[/url]

another group 69 Grain IMI

Federal Fusion 62gr SP

Remington UMC 62gr

Also shot some 75 grain Hornady but was getting 2.75" inches from them...not as good as I hoped.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I was really surprised my Stag hates the 75 grain Hornady..... in fact my Mini14 580 series shot the 75 gr Hornady just about the same (2.75") as the Stag at 100 yards.
Seems like the 69 grain is the ticket for it, will have to look info getting some more.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck with the 69gr razor core out of an 18" rainier ultramatch barrel.

Groups were only slightly larger than the 69gr fgmm.  Fwiw, black hills 69gr blue box were dead last.

It's definitely hotter.  Shooting a 4" gong at 250yds, the imi gets there quite a bit faster than the fgmm.

I haven't tried the 77gr IMI yet, but it's on the agenda.  Also looking to compare the ADI 69gr next time I get a chance to shoot.

ETA: I'll second the notion that 3 round groups aren't sufficient to determine if a barrel likes a particular round.  5 is better, but I try to get 8-10 round groups.  Fired from the bench of course.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Before you go and buy a bunch of 69gr ... I strongly suggest you shoot multiple 10 shot groups ( for accuracy ) in a row... IMHO the AR15 platform, being a high capacity, self loading rifle ( rapid fire ), you should test its accuracy for how it might be used.... heated up barrel, and slightly dirty....  

A hunting rifle with 3 shot groups from a cold bore is a decent representation of its expectations for accuracy..... but a self loading rifle is usually fired faster.

So .... test more ... 3 rounds from a AR isn't a good accuracy test  ( No Offense intended !! )

And if you spend much time at the 100yd line.... try Fed 50gr Tipped Varmint, cheaper then the more expensive match ammo, but still very accurate for its cost.

Also... while this may seem silly to some, I have noticed that some ammo needs a few rounds fired down the bore before its groups size settle down..... I haven't been able to quite nail down a exact trend.... but brand x followed by brand y might not give you a good sample.

Years ago I had a list from the CMP of "Which Powder should not be used after a different powder" for reloaded ammo.... but try as I may... I can't find it.  And bear in mind, that list was made from men with decades of "No Internet", real hands on experience.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was really surprised my Stag hates the 75 grain Hornady..... in fact my Mini14 580 series shot the 75 gr Hornady just about the same (2.75") as the Stag at 100 yards.
Seems like the 69 grain is the ticket for it, will have to look info getting some more.

Before you go and buy a bunch of 69gr ... I strongly suggest you shoot multiple 10 shot groups ( for accuracy ) in a row... IMHO the AR15 platform, being a high capacity, self loading rifle ( rapid fire ), you should test its accuracy for how it might be used.... heated up barrel, and slightly dirty....  

A hunting rifle with 3 shot groups from a cold bore is a decent representation of its expectations for accuracy..... but a self loading rifle is usually fired faster.

So .... test more ... 3 rounds from a AR isn't a good accuracy test  ( No Offense intended !! )

And if you spend much time at the 100yd line.... try Fed 50gr Tipped Varmint, cheaper then the more expensive match ammo, but still very accurate for its cost.

Also... while this may seem silly to some, I have noticed that some ammo needs a few rounds fired down the bore before its groups size settle down..... I haven't been able to quite nail down a exact trend.... but brand x followed by brand y might not give you a good sample.

Years ago I had a list from the CMP of "Which Powder should not be used after a different powder" for reloaded ammo.... but try as I may... I can't find it.  And bear in mind, that list was made from men with decades of "No Internet", real hands on experience.

But yeah,  Good shooting otherwise.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I fired at least 10 rounds of each ammo (isometimes more) before I even went to paper at 100 yards.  
The pics were not all shot on the same day but I had spent many rounds (and $$$) trying each one not just 5 shots at a time....
So far I have shot 5 boxes of the 77gr and 69gr and each and every group from the 69gr is smaller than the 77gr. in my Stag 8T piston with a 16" barrel.
My smallest group so far is .65 and largest is around 1" with the IMI 69gr.
I am gonna try PPU soon when I get my hands on some.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My Tavor Sar loves 77gr and 69gr razorcore. The IMI ammo is good shits
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I spent another day at the range this weekend..... 77grain IMI is OK about an inch and quarter but, the 69gr is under an inch every time.
Just got my daughter's Radical Arms build done so I will try it our thru hers next time.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top