Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 11:09:00 AM EDT
I was never interested in AR's until the antis told me I couldn't be trusted with one. So as soon as there was a break in the panic, I bought a S&W M&P15 Sport, since it was the best bang for the buck and was available. I paid a little too much at $730 (especially since they stopped making it with the 5R barrel, dammit), but at the time the future was too uncertain to screw around.

I really wanted a midlength, though, and when DSG Arms had Spikes midlengths for a ridiculous $399 before Thanksgiving, I jumped. Fit and finish perfectly matched the S&W lower. It's simple, but I dig it. At a total of $1130 I got a sweet middy and a spare upper, which of course I used for a budget build. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

I figure the "M&P15" stands for "Midlength & Perfect" now.

PS - the carry handle is BCM. I like irons. And the bayonet is to make Diane Feinstein cry.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:12:44 AM EDT
Nice rifle.  S&W also offers their own mid-length on their "Magpul MOE" rifle.  I think it is one of the few mid lengths they offer.  I commend you for going with the full carry handle, as I am an irons guy myself!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:20:22 AM EDT
Looks real good, did a similar thing with my Sport.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:52 AM EDT
Tapco stock?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:33:58 AM EDT
BAYONETS!  The word was enough...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 11:56:06 AM EDT by MS556]
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.

I think that is a good combo - Spikes & Wesson!  Ha ha.

I sort of have the same thing but with a carbine barrel.  It's a S&W lower with Spikes Tactical M4 upper and a CMMG 16" M4LE barrel.  I have a lo pro gas block and am running a DD MFR 12.0 rail over the barrel.  For these purposes, I'll omit description of the furniture beyond that it is mostly Magpul.

I would have preferred a middy 16, but the carbine barrel was all I could get in melonite at the time of the build, and I wanted that treatment on this barrel.  It's worked out great for me.   And the "plus" is that it's registered for  FFL transfer as a Smith and Wesson.  Despite the high quality rifles from many very good companies, the S&W name, even as a late entry to "black guns"  does have some clout come resale time, if I were ever to do so.  S&W seems to have done their homework well on the lower.  I did upgrade the trigger, which seemed generally good, but well above expected pull weight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:36:06 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By p226guy:
Tapco stock?
View Quote

Nah, that's the original S&W. It's got a slip-over rubber buttpad on it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:34:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By schizuki:
I was never interested in AR's until the antis told me I couldn't be trusted with one. So as soon as there was a break in the panic, I bought a S&W M&P15 Sport, since it was the best bang for the buck and was available. I paid a little too much at $730 (especially since they stopped making it with the 5R barrel, dammit), but at the time the future was too uncertain to screw around.

I really wanted a midlength, though, and when DSG Arms had Spikes midlengths for a ridiculous $399 before Thanksgiving, I jumped. Fit and finish perfectly matched the S&W lower. It's simple, but I dig it. At a total of $1130 I got a sweet middy and a spare upper, which of course I used for a budget build. Yeah, I guess I'm hooked.

I figure the "M&P15" stands for "Midlength & Perfect" now.

PS - the carry handle is BCM. I like irons. And the bayonet is to make Diane Feinstein cry.

<a href="http://s173.photobucket.com/user/schizuki/media/Spikesmiddy_zps9e983c4d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/schizuki/Spikesmiddy_zps9e983c4d.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s173.photobucket.com/user/schizuki/media/Spikesmiddy2_zpsbb508cd0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/schizuki/Spikesmiddy2_zpsbb508cd0.jpg</a>

View Quote

Do you mean $499 or did you get some kind of discount?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:39:14 PM EDT
Most likely a black Friday special of $399 for the stripped upper.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:49 PM EDT
Nice weapon O.P , love the K.I.S.S concept and the integrated trigger guard on the S&W lower is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:06:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blain:
Most likely a black Friday special of $399 for the stripped upper.
View Quote

Nope. $399 for a complete upper. I whipped out my credit card so quick it almost melted from the atmospheric friction.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:59:07 AM EDT
nice and simple.

toss a light on there and call it a day.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:06:15 AM EDT
Have you shot the rifle yet?  If so, you're probably better off throwing that rubber pad away...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:07:17 AM EDT
I like both Smith and Spikes products, I barely missed out on the DSG deal on black Friday or I would have had another Spikes middy. Nice looking rifle.
Top Top