Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:03:24 PM EDT
Okay, now that my upper is here, my M4 is almost done. So I open up the ARMS 40 box, and there's some Loctite Thread Locker in there with it.  I put the 40 on the upper, and it seems pretty secure.

Questions:
1)Do I need the Loctite on there?
2a)If I use the Loctite, is the BUIS on there "forever"? 2b)What if I want to take it off?
3)If I do need it, how do I use it? I've never put this stuff on anything before.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is blue, then it isn't permanent. Just put a drop on the thread, and screw it on.

The light blue colored loctite will still come off, but will hold it in place until you decide to remove it.

The buis will be secure without it, but could come loose after shooting a high number of rounds, because of the vibration caused by the recoil. Better safe than sorry
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine too!

All those mounts with that kind of nut come with a tube.  They come loose all the time without it.  It would suck to loose that thingy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's purple

.....I hope it comes off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC as long as it is not red heat will not need to be applied to remove.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:32:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Use it. Believe me you'll regret not doing so.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]
If it says A.R.M.S. on it, anywhere, and its not a carboard box, you'll need lots and lots of loctite.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it says A.R.M.S. on it, anywhere, and its not a carboard box, you'll need lots and lots of loctite.

+1

I had problems with my 22M68.. darn thing came loose!  loctite fixed that and I haven't had an issue since.   good on ARMS For stepping up and including some with purchase!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
never had any problems with anything arms i have coming loose.

but i use the purple if it came with it or blue if it didnt
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1 in my experience.

ETA:  I actually use red on fasteners that small.    It's very little surface area, and I've had blue come loose on me.  Red never takes more than normal torque with the ARMS nut remover to unscrew.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Loctite 222, or PURPLE Loctite as many of you like to call it, is designed for small fasteners and is removable.  We use this at work in extremely high vibration and high heat applications without issue.  These applications are more severe than 99.99% of the rifles out there will ever see.

I also use Loctite 242, or BLUE Loctite, extensively on my personal rifles without issue.

One common theme I've detected in unsuccessful Loctite use is not shaking the product thoroughly before applying it - it does separate if left unused for a long time.  Additionally, the threads have to be cleaned and degreased.  Doing both of these has given me a near 100% success rate using Loctite, no matter what number or color I am using.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It can remove with no problem.  If you would like you can heat it up with a torch to melt the Loctite and it will come off easer.  I would recommend using it!

I've found that a standard hair dryer will heat up Loctite well enough to easily get it off. I'd rather take a hair dryer to an optic mount than a blow torch.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
LaRueisshipping "Blue Lok-Tite" with their mounts as well. At least they did for my SF962C and EOTech mounts.

Use it. If it wasn't necessary it wouldn't be in the package.

Tack

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LaRueisshipping "Blue Lok-Tite" with their mounts as well. At least they did for my SF962C and EOTech mounts.

Use it. If it wasn't necessary it wouldn't be in the package.

Tack

yep
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The package says "222MS" so I figure it's the "purple" stuff.

Okay, so the consensus is use it. Good deal.  
So I do this:

1)Shake it.
2)Clean the threads on the screw

So, I put the Loctite on the threads then? Where exactly? Just don't want to screw it up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So I do this:

1)Shake it.

So, I put the Loctite on the threads then? Where exactly? Just don't want to screw it up.

Put a small amount on the external threads and thread everything together.  Tighten everything up and ideally let is set for a day.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I do this:

1)Shake it.

Put a small amount on the external threads and thread everything together.  Tighten everything up and ideally let is set for a day.

yep just put it where the screw threads and the threads on the nut would mate when installed
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Screws SHOULD have loc-tite on them, AND they should be marked with paint so rotation can be noted.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AND they should be marked with paint so rotation can be noted.

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a paint marker and put witness marks on all of your screws.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

OHH.

So if it starts to come loose I can tell, right?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OHH.

So if it starts to come loose I can tell, right?

right.... if the lines don't line up anymore, it's moved!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top