Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2013 2:05:07 PM EDT
So, I've lurked for a bit over in these areas, got a swell anniversary gift, and started a thread in the DIY section to ask a question which was handily answered here and on another forum. So, now I guess starts the official build.

So far, I have this:

As far as the rest of the parts, I know I need (and if I've decided on a brand I'll put it beside the part in parentheticals):

Upper (thinking of snagging a blemished stripped and soon, as this would be the hardest part to source if a parts/assembly ban happened) (Aero or PSA)

LPK (DPMS or BLACKHAWK!/PSA)
Upper parts kit.
Charging handle
Stock (might treat myself to a nice MAGPUL)
Barrel (ARP 18" SPR with target crown)
Bolt (Stag or ARP if ARP is in stock when I buy the barrel)
Bolt carrier (either a blem or I might get the whole Stag BCG)
Buffer tube/spring/buffer
Barrel shroud/front rail/shoulder thing that goes up (Magpul)
Muzzle break (optional)
Jig

Did I forget anything? This is just a general purpose rifle, not making it out to be able to shave a fly's ass at 500 yards, just something to go well with my K31, k98, Ishy 2A, and Win94 as far as rifles go.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You forgot that you'll need a milling machine. And a drill press.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forgot that you'll need a milling machine. And a drill press.
View Quote

Have access to the press and possibly a CNC machine, but thanks for reminding me, I need the jig!
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend $20 more on the barrel and get this.

Also pick up one of his Superbolts while you're there.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for ARP.  I just built a 6.8 with one of his 16"socom bbl and superbolt.  Spikes complete upper for 99 from aimsurplus gas system and houge handguard made the total upper cost rite around 550 minus bolt carrier which I switch out with my 556 for now.  She does sub moa at 100yrds with factory SSA ammo.  If I can keep myself sane until the 15th she is going with me to the upper peninsula of Michigan for a wolf hunt.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
A quick note on the ARP bolt situation...ARP does have bolts in stock, but only enough to match to barrels, not enough to sell separately.

I just got mine...20" rifle gas with a target crown

ETA: Pic on page 15 of the How About a  6.8  photo thread.

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A quick note on the ARP bolt situation...ARP does have bolts in stock, but only enough to match to barrels, not enough to sell separately.

I just got mine...20" rifle gas with a target crown

ETA: Pic on page 15 of the How About a  6.8  photo thread.

View Quote

That seems logical, which would be exactly why it hadn't crossed my mind they might do that.

And I have perused that thread, many pretty rifles in there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Question: as far as hand guards, I know there is the choice between free floating or non-free floating. I also have read that free floating is supposed to help with accuracy, even though some rifles, like the mini-15 series, use something to intentionally hold the barrel steady to increase accuracy. As I'm not sure I care either way, but I am sure I don't want a whole lot of stuff weighing the front down, I've been thinking of going with this (forgive the CTD link, I just use them to look products up)

Handguard

I know Magpul is a good brand, would that fit the bill?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
My dad just put together his 6.8 for whitetail this weekend. He went with Bison Armory 18" SS SPR profile. He just got the barrel and parts yesterday and finished the assembly. He found a nice 100 yard stretch and zeroed it in. It was shooting 1moa within about 20 rounds. He is very impressed with the barrel and Customer service. Just thought I would throw Bison out as another option for you.

" />

As far as hand guards go I would hit some local gun shops that sell AR's or maybe you Walmart (mine seems to have a nice supply of guns right now). Take a look at what they all have to offer as far as assembled rifles. See what hand guard you like or done like. You are going to need mid length hand guards if you go with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My dad just put together his 6.8 for whitetail this weekend. He went with Bison Armory 18" SS SPR profile. He just got the barrel and parts yesterday and finished the assembly. He found a nice 100 yard stretch and zeroed it in. It was shooting 1moa within about 20 rounds. He is very impressed with the barrel and Customer service. Just thought I would throw Bison out as another option for you.

http://<a href=http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/tstuart34/68build.jpg</a>" />

As far as hand guards go I would hit some local gun shops that sell AR's or maybe you Walmart (mine seems to have a nice supply of guns right now). Take a look at what they all have to offer as far as assembled rifles. See what hand guard you like or done like. You are going to need mid length hand guards if you go with a 16" barrel.
View Quote

I'm close to KCR, so I think tomorrow I'm gonna have to visit them (closed Tuesdays).

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the bison barrel?

ETA: nm, just found their website, their 16" is right there in price with the rest of them, and that does look nice. And the chamber is the SPCII as well, so it's up-to-date with the rest of them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm close to KCR, so I think tomorrow I'm gonna have to visit them (closed Tuesdays).

ETA: nm, just found their website, their 16" is right there in price with the rest of them, and that does look nice. And the chamber is the SPCII as well, so it's up-to-date with the rest of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/tstuart34/68build.jpg</a>" />

Glad you found their site. They are a little more money but they are SS vs 4150. They charge extra for coating which puts the price over the ARP but it just depends on the finish you like. From all the reading that I have done you can't go wrong with either barrel. The guys on the 68fourms will tell you the same thing. Have fun with your build. Make sure to take your time with that lower.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Visited family for my birthday, was gifted one of the PSA/BLACKHAWK! lpk with grip and trigger, so that's now out of the way.

And my machinist grandfather said that a good XY table and drill press should suffice, if I know what I'm doing (CAD and drafting classes in college are now paying off ).
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Over the holidays I picked up a doublestar charging handle and one of the PSA upper parts kits, as well as the Magpul MOE midlength handguards. With tax season upon us, this will be about the time I get the barrel and a mill from HFT.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top