Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 6:57:02 AM EDT
Curious whether anyone has tested several against each other to determine which is the least detrimental to the weapons accuracy potential.  Or even anecdotal evidence...
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on the purpose for the rifle...for a field rifle thats gonna be used for plinking,self defense the regualr A2 will do...most "flashiders" are really not flash hiders.The A2 "flash hider"is described as the "compensator" in operator and armorer tech manuals.

The phantom and vortex are real hide the flash flash hiders and even the 5c1 phantom is a tru flash hider and compensator as it has no bottom slot like the A2 hider.

I dont think any you choose will effect accuracy negatively and there are some that may enhance it but unless its not lined up right and bullets are hitting it on their way out anything you choose from standard to special should be fine.I use A2 hiders and Phantom 5c1s and dont notice any change in accuracy from one to another..

Big change in flash signature as a phantom is a true flash hider but thats about it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Phantom.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#5]
a buddy of mine said the AK style (i think izzy makes them????) are really good for muzzle jump.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a RR Predator with a 20" wilson that has an A2 hider on it.  I ordered it this way thinking I may suppress it someday.  Till then, I was looking to use the least of 'evils' as far as negatively affecting the rifles accuracy.  Irregular gas dissipation around the base of the bullet inducing yaw as it leaves the barrel and passes through the hider/comp/brake is my concern.  Should I just use a thread protector instead...
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Reviving an old thread–– I am having trouble finding the right muzzle device for my Krieger barrel.  Tried two–– Vortex and PWS FS556, and both really threw things off compared with a naked muzzle.  I have good results with both on other barrels, so this barrel is apparently "sensitive."  Please let me know if there is anything new to add to Wes' excellent expose.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
After that awesome field report by Wes, i think your F/H or comp money needs to go to MTSN....Nice report pal!  IMHO i just love all the AAC gear, and the new blackout model.... spr/m4 aac f/h is almost night night, but have only popped a few after dark with it so far.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Really like the vortex, true flash suppresor.. Have one on my Colt A-2 govt. Carb and just put one on my Armalite SPR at the beginning of this year.  Have switched several flash hiders over the years and never noticed any increase or decrease in accuracy.

Dont like the muzzle brakes that force gases to the side. Only took one round of barrier / cover drills indoors to get that picture. Did one round with my Colt no problem. did the 2nd round with 16" post ban carb with brake and was picking ceiling tile debris off myself the rest of the day. What a blast, literally.

Was explained to me by Colt R&D guy in 1980 that the origional idea was to protect night vision to the shooter not hide flash from opponent.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reviving an old thread–– I am having trouble finding the right muzzle device for my Krieger barrel.  Tried two–– Vortex and PWS FS556, and both really threw things off compared with a naked muzzle.  I have good results with both on other barrels, so this barrel is apparently "sensitive."  Please let me know if there is anything new to add to Wes' excellent expose.  Thanks.

Have an A1 or A2 flash hider drilled or reamed out to 7/16".  This effectively gets rid of the inside taper which is the cause of accuracy issues when not mounted concentrically.  This may affect the overall flash hiding ability, but for me the flash hider on a accuracy gun is just a muzzle protector and a necessary part to complete the rifle.  I hate naked muzzles on AR15s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
My rifle has a Cav Comp on it and gets sub MOA groups (though not with me shooting usually). If the comp is actually reducing accuracy I wouldn't know it. That thing is accurate as hell. Muzzle climb is reduced pretty well too. The flash is spectacular with American Eagle XM193 at night. With PMC 55 grain it's tame.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#13]
There's no doubt a fh with a mfg flaw will destroy accuracy of a match grade barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top