Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 3:33:56 AM EDT
It's been a while since my last post about the SPR I built with the a lot of help and parts from Wes at MSTN. Here is a link to an earlier post that deals with the SPR from shortly after I got it and started breaking in the fantastic barrel I got from Wes.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=162083

Here is a photo of the SPR, Mk12 Mod 1 config, with a Leupold 3.5-10 x40 M1 LR scope mounted on an ARMS #35 QD setup (thanks Wes).

Here are a few shots of my last range trip. 50 yards, indoors, from bench using bi-pod and off-side hand for support. I think I have finally gotten the barrel broken in completely and the results shown are quite common. I typically just shoot a round into a blank area of the paper and then use that hole as my aiming point. I've been shooting BH blue 68gr OTM.

This 3 round group in the last photo amazed me. It was the first group of the day. There were no other holes in the target or backstop cardboard. When we looked at the target very closely, you could just make out the slight impression of a second bullet. This SPR never stops amazing me!

What this SPR has done is made me a better shot. I have become aware of subtle inputs that I never knew or thought about before. As I concentrated on mastering each of them, my groups got smaller.

If any of you ever have an opportunity to shoot one of Wes' SPRs, don't pass it up. If you are ever at the NRA headquarters range in Fairfax, VA on a Saturday morning and see this SPR, say hello.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I appreciate your comments.
Ed
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#3]
WOW
Absolutely beautiful groups!
Absolutely beautiful weapon!
...yes I'm jealous.

edited to add: What kind of barrel are you running? 1/7 Compass Lake?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Yes, it is a Compass Lake 1:7 made to Mk12 specs with matching bolt and CLE chamber. Bought the barrel assembly from Wes at MSTN along with the OPS Inc. comp. I think Wes is the only one selling this exact assembly.
Ed
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I never get tired of looking at your rifle. Wes, certianly built you an awesome weapon. It has the best of everything. Every part is the "real deal", no copies or fluff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#6]
duc-
I admired your M4 clone a while ago, then worried when you parted it out to raise some cash.
No worries, very nice settup, very fine piece of shooting.  Nice rifle, enjoy.

/S2
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice rifle, you got great tastes [:)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. One of the outcomes of getting the SPR is that it let settle into a set-up for the M4 instead of trying to let it be all-things to all-people. The M4gery now mounts a KAC RAS, KAC 300m BUIS, vertical grip, Surefire and Aimpoint M2 and mount. Used to have ACOG NSN, lots of rails, grips, forends etc. With one setup for the M4 and one for the SPR, I can cover everything the way I want.

Dinger,
You are right about the items you get from Wes. This is the no-BS real deal stuff. It goes together and works together (refer to target photos).

Ed
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#9]
while that is an awesome looking weapon, and im sure it can do the same much further out, for shooting at 50 yards is the price justified? my Rock River m4 will shoot 3 shoot groups the size of penny at 50 yards with a cheapo 4x scope too, granted the last group is sweet! this isnt a slam, just wondering if ya take that thing outdoors to shoot 100,200,300 yards? and how well it does there compared to a normal ar?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]
No slam taken.

I go to the NRA range most every weekend and quite often take the SPR. You are correct in that it seems like a waste of money to shoot it at 50 yards. That is especially true if you just wanted to shoot 1/2" groups at that distance. If you want to consistantly shoot 1/4" (or better) groups, it gets pretty challenging, at least for me. If you want to shoot .5 MOA, you have to have a weapon system cabable of repeatable .5 MOA performance and you have to learn the techniques needed to shoot .5 MOA. While learning the techniques, being able to practice with zero wind and constant temperatures helps.

I also shoot at the ranges at the Quantico Marine Corps Base, weather permitting. I have the SPR sighted-in dead-nuts at 50 yards (at the NRA range) with BH 68gr OTM. It re-zeros at about 200 yards. With data from a ballistic program, using this round and crony data from my SPR, I was able to dial the elevation knob on the M1LR to the calculated hold-over and put the first round in the 10 ring at 300 yards. Probably a fair amount of luck involved but it sure felt good. Was able to get real close also with the calculated hold-under at 100 yards. The groups in the photos were shot after just cranking the knob back to zero. I don't think a cheap 4x scope will do this reliably.

I've shot Colts, Bushmasters, Rock Rivers, etc. and nothing has equalled Wes' SPR for less money invested. No slam on anybody elses AR's, there are lots that I haven't shot, but there seems to be a threshhold you have to cross to get to these group sizes on a consistent basis.

Just my 2 cents.
Ed
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
C'mon, who really needs all this, but we WANT!! Good enough a reason for me [:d]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#12]
True, and yes i'm still jealous...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Excellent groups!!! and very nice rifle you have there.

Wes does build some incredible SPR'S doesnt he.
   FREE
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes indeed. Wes does only quality work with quality parts.

You are also correct in that not all of this is needed. I doubt accuracy would suffer if there was a less expensive FF tube mounted instead of the RAS but it does provide an easy way of mounting the front BUIS, Harris and Surefire(not shown). Don't NEED the BUIS for my type of shooting but in this day and age you never know when your "type" of shooting might change (quickly).
Also, a fact that no one but Wes has brought up is that the Mk12, w/o optics and bi-bod, is a pretty nimble piece in its own right. Not like my M4 but still not bad. I sometimes pull the extras and just "plink" with the BUIS. One of these days I'll try my Aimpoint on it. Granted, this rifle is overkill for M4 style work but it is nice that it can do double duty so well. The only other "extra" item my be the comp. It is an OPS Inc. 2 port comp and can mount. A KAC M4-QD FS/Comp/Can Mount would probable work as well and would have been cheaper but Wes says the OPS Inc. units are the only ones that demonstratably improve accuracy. I cannot verify this but based upon past experience, I tend to take what Wes says at face value. He has NEVER misled or given me bad advice. Quite often pricey, but never wrong (sorry Wes). Besides, having the 2-port comp. adds some exclusivity and actually make your "fun gun" 2 inches longer.[:D]

Anyway, the extras are cool. The SPR draws attention at the range and people who's opinions I value (you guys), seem to appeciate it. I get my full penny's-worth of enjoyment out of it every time I take it to the range.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Does Wes have a website?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:09:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does Wes have a website?
View Quote
[url]www.mstn.biz[/url]  he also has his own message board in the industry section of this site
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]
You know those bullets don't even fully stabilize to about 150yds, they are still flying somewhat erratically.

You might be surprised groups at 100-200yds could be just as good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top