Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2015 12:29:27 AM EDT
the market is very flooded with low priced items. these two get good reviews, what about the crowd from this site, which one would you prefer? any experience with either?

vokul 2.5-10x40
http://www.amazon.com/Vokul%C2%AE-2-5-10x40-Tactical-Illuminated-Mil-dot/dp/B00SMICT24/

or

monstrum 3-9x40 with integral rangefinder
http://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tactical-3-9x40-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B00L3LC3C8/

after some reading i think i'll go with a small scope for my 15/22 vs using magnifier with my cheapy tglo reflex mil dot. i will use a utg QD mount so i can switch between the two, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't go with either. I deal with similar optics where I work, and when I put them in my hand, they feel very cheaply made. When I look through them, they also look cheap. If you're looking for a reasonably priced variable optic, Bushnell and Nikon have good options for rimfire ARs. You'll be in the 100-150 range, but I think it'd be well worth it for the jump in quality that you'd get.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
what models would you recommend? TRS32 ?
the cheapy brands have a few extra features that i liked, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Primary Arms sells inexpensive red dot and magnified optics that won't break the bank. Supposedly decent quality. There are quite a few videos of people deliberately abusing them to show their reliability.

Vortex makes very good red dot optics like the StrikeFire II and the SPARC II which is a micro red dot. I own a few of both and have never had a single issue with any of them. Really good battery life too. What's good to note is that QD mounts for Aimpoints are also compatible with these Vortex red dot optics.

Bushnell makes a really good micro red dot called the TRS-25. If I recall correctly, I don't think they are compatible with QD mounts. I know you can buy TRS-25 with appropriate spacers to obtain the kind of cowitness you want (lower 1/3 or absolute). There might be spacers or adapters that can allow you to use certain QD mounts, but I have personally not used TRS-25 optics because I always prefer using a quality QD mount for all of my optics.

In the past I have owned cheapo China optics and I can honestly say that every single one of them have all ended up in the trash within a year or so. They are cheap for a reason. They either quit working, literally fall apart, batteries die very very quickly and/or they lose zero. Once you start buying quality optics you will always appreciate them and without regret. You will know you that you can always rely on them. You don't have to get the very best optics in existence, but once you get a decent quality optic, that is all you will ever want.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#4]
well, i know quality optics, i have a nice Nikon on my 30.06, and i know cheapy, i have a tglo TG8365B w/ utg QD on my 15/22. this tglo works, but optics are fair and the dots not exactly the greatest.

so ok, what's a decent 1-4x (prism or other) that has good x-hairs and maybe some range dots/marks in there? the only reason why i listed the two cheapy ones is that from the dozens that i looked at online these two got good reviews compared to the others.... and i certainly agree, low $ = low quality item. in essence, this 15/22 is a practice rifle while i build a 15 in 223, etc. later i can step up the optics for the 15/223 and keep the cheapy stuff on the 15/22, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

the market is very flooded with low priced items. these two get good reviews, what about the crowd from this site, which one would you prefer? any experience with either?

vokul 2.5-10x40

http://www.amazon.com/Vokul%C2%AE-2-5-10x40-Tactical-Illuminated-Mil-dot/dp/B00SMICT24/

or

monstrum 3-9x40 with integral rangefinder

http://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tactical-3-9x40-Illuminated-Reticle/dp/B00L3LC3C8/

after some reading i think i'll go with a small scope for my 15/22 vs using magnifier with my cheapy tglo reflex mil dot. i will use a utg QD mount so i can switch between the two, etc.
View Quote
Don't waste your money...............

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't waste your money...............  
View Quote

ok, but you then suggest what optic that has similar features of the cheapy's ?? i get the argument of cheapy, but i need some alternatives that are better quality, etc. thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend uses that Monstrom on his AR15. He likes it. He bought 3 cheapies. That one, a Bushnell ??-25 and another. The Monstrom was the only 1 That held zero after 30 days.
Now I will say he doesn't shoot it much and only from a bench. He likes how he can go from 50-100-200 without changing anything.

I have a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot on my Mini14 and really like it. Holds zero after a year+ even if it's removed for awhile. I use it more than he does and I run drills with mine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Rather than list two cheap, low quality optics and asking the masses to help you pick one of two, do some research on this site and others about optics. You will learn a lot and then be able to make an informed decision.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top