Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 12:03:09 PM EDT
If I wanted to have a lower redone is there anybody who does the same process used by Colt available to you and me?  I'm wanting (maybe) to redo a 6400C lower in the current black finish.  I know guys like Norrell will do an exceptional job in their finish, but who does the factory Colt process?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I wanted to have a lower redone is there anybody who does the same process used by Colt available to you and me?  I'm wanting (maybe) to redo a 6400C lower in the current black finish.  I know guys like Norrell will do an exceptional job in their finish, but who does the factory Colt process?

Hey, what is wrong with yours, is it beat up or something?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the SBR info engraved on it locally and it barely scratched the finish any deeper then what would just make it look a little crappy.  i since sent it off to tom sawyer mfg and they engraved the info properly (very nicely too).  now the old shit is just bothering me -- you know how anal we can be Ekie!

Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, OK.  Any how, I don't know anyone that would exactly duplicate the finish.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the finish exactly?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
There is some info here at the bottom of the page:

www.fulton-armory.com/Mil_Spec.htm

Oh yeah, and I did think of someone that could do the finish, and that is Colt's Custom Shop.  If you bead blast the lower before finishing it will not look the same, in that I really don't think that Colt's (or their subcontractor) spends the time to bead blast thier receivers before anodizing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I would just blast the front of the magwell area and then probably file it out smooth.  I wonder which kidney Colt would want to redo it (both)?!?!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, but I would think all the finish would have to be removed before anodizing.  Abrasive blast is the norm for conversion finish removal.

You say it is just on the front of the mag well?  Heck, I would just paint it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
lightmetalscoloring.com

Upper is new, lower is circa 93 reannodized by them

whole gun....
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't know, but I would think all the finish would have to be removed before anodizing.  Abrasive blast is the norm for conversion finish removal.

You say it is just on the front of the mag well?  Heck, I would just paint it.

i know the whole thing would need redone -- i was speaking of the prep for the specific area.

i guess we finally found somebody more anal then you!   LOL!

Quoted:
lightmetalscoloring.com

Upper is new, lower is circa 93 reannodized by them

looks well done -- mind if i ask how much?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
$148.00

The deal on this one is this.... Before the " you could buy a new lower for that" flames begin..Pre ban lower ( when it mattered) engraved then reannodized.. Done before I knew about losing tolerances etc.. ( this lower is fine, no issues as far as that goes).

Its now an NFA item so I wanted it annodized so its appearance is correct.. Im not a paint/ moly resin fan..

I guess Im the most anal.. I had the whole freakin lower reannodized...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
If I remember correctly Colt wanted $200 to refinnish an upper last year when I was thinking of sending that M-4 upper back to them. The one with the barrel with the canted FSB which I parted out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
is that the hard anodizing?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like you're set on getting your Colt lower stripped and then anodized, but I just wanted to throw in another recommendation for a dry film lubricant finish like KG Gun Kote or Norrell's.  I just got an upper back from ADCO to which they applied flat black KG Gun Kote, and it now matches one of my Bushmaster lowers perfectly.  In fact, I can't even tell that there IS a dry film lubricant applied over the original anodizing on the upper.  So, if you really didn't want to risk stripping and anodizing your lower, I'd highly recommend KG Gun Kote or Norrell's instead.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
appreciate the thought, but i want it as close to mil-spec as possible.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Understood!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top