Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 7:36:55 PM EDT
I posted a question about how to remove one a while ago, someone posted that their business could do it and it took some special work. Who was it? Also my ycomp is the one that bushmaster lists as the 'preban only'. It has no visible pinning, but it will not come off (I tried tonight).

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#1]
ADCO or Kurts Custom, can do the requested work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
a
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I did mine the other day after I read a post about it on this site. There are two pins 1 on top and 1 on bottom there should be some discoloration on the brake from where it was soddered. First I got my dremel and ground down the pins. you have to grind a little before you see the pins. grind them down until the first sign of the threads, once you get to the threads stop dremeling. Next I sprayed some penatrating oil on the pins and got my drill with a bit just smaller than the pins. making sure the bits centered start drilling while applying pressure. on mine the pins started spinning after a few seconds and fell out.

SHEP-1/179th
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I removed the one on my wife's Bushy upper. I used my dremel with a cut-off wheel and cut clear thru the brake from the front end back to the front of the barrel. I then cut shallow cuts over the barrel threads. I then used a cold chisel to split the brake where I had cut thru it and the whole thing split in two and fell off. Make the cuts down the sides, not the top and bottom.

Gary
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry - I am a definite neophite- so why do you want to remove the comp?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My reason is because that it is a horrible, offensively loud, unnessecary POS.

I really need to scan the pic I have of my BM as the blast shoots out of the mini y comp.  It is crazy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:37:02 PM EDT
[#7]

I really need to scan the pic I have of my BM as the blast shoots out of the mini y comp.  It is crazy.

Thanks - I have never fired a bushy w/ one of with their comps. Is their AK brake similiarly offensive?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. Reason I asked was with the ban dieing, I wan't to have all the tools and parts ready to go by the 12th.

The AK style brake is alot quieter then the ycomps. Too bad too, since the y-comp was ( ) the cleanest looking factory brake availble.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#9]
May I make a suggestion? Tape the crap out of the barrel so when the dremmel get away from you for a split second you don't end up needing to refinish the barrel. It's the curse of almost finished and wammo, you just screwed something up!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
May I make a suggestion? Tape the crap out of the barrel so when the dremmel get away from you for a split second you don't end up needing to refinish the barrel. It's the curse of almost finished and wammo, you just screwed something up!

good idea!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I don't see why a lot of you guys care so much about the finish on your firearms.  My ARs have tons of dings and scratches yet they work 100%.  As far as removing the Y-comp, the cold chisel method worked perfectly for me.  I made the dremel slots until I could just barely see the threads, and a good couple of whacks on a cold chisel from the muzzle end split the brake cleanly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey, I'm new to posting here...so hi.

Anyway, just curious, if you had the Bushmaster M4-type carbine shown here, wouldn't you be making a Title II SBR by removing the Mini Y-comp?  That rifle has a 14.5" barrel, and the permanently attached Mini-Y is what brings it up to the legal 16".  I have one of these and was thinking about it (didn't want to buy a whole new barrel) until I realized that the bbl is only 14.5", per Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey, I'm new to posting here...so hi.

Anyway, just curious, if you had the Bushmaster M4-type carbine shown here, wouldn't you be making a Title II SBR by removing the Mini Y-comp?  That rifle has a 14.5" barrel, and the permanently attached Mini-Y is what brings it up to the legal 16".  I have one of these and was thinking about it (didn't want to buy a whole new barrel) until I realized that the bbl is only 14.5", per Bushmaster.

Not if you permanently reattach a new 1.5"+ muzzle device. Also, you can take the lower and leave it in someone elses possession who does not own a AR15, while you wait for parts or decide on which muzzle device. I split mine off, and left the upper with a friend until the ban sunsets. If it magically got reenacted, then it will get another postban legal 1.5"+ long comp permanently attached, and come back to its lower. When the ban sunsets though, it will come home for a final soldering on of a Predator flash suppressor.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top