Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:48:12 AM EDT
What exactly is "Mid-Length"?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It refers to the length of the gas tube, which usually begins at the front sight.

There are three “standards”

Rifle length.
Mid Length.
CAR length.

The CAR length is right for 14.5” barrels but it’s a little short for the civilian legal 16” barrels. The rifle length is way too long for a 16”, probably could get it to work, but it wouldn’t’ work well.

So they came up with the mid length. It’s not a military standard but it’s becoming a civilian one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I get you.  Thanks :)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Also from what i've read and hear a midlength gas tue setup helps reduce felt recoil and abuse on the rifle.  I hav no experience in this and i am no expert.  Just something i've read.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
CAR: 7" gas tube
Mid: 9" gas tube
Rifle: 12" gas tube

CAR is by far the most popular, but the Midlength is gaining in popularity. People say a Mid shoots smoother.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The mid-length have, but not exactly about 2" longer gas tube and handguard.

It have longer sight radius, smoother action, more handguard area for accessories like lights, lasers and vertcal grips than the CAR.

A standard bayonet could be mounted if required.

Armalite, RRA, Sabre Defence and other manufacturers sells mid-length models.

Picture of my mid-length A3 tactical carbine

Mid-length AR Picture Thread...link
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The mid-length have, but not exactly about 2" longer gas tube and handguard.

It have longer sight radius, smoother action, more handguard area for accessories like lights, lasers and vertcal grips than the CAR.

Armalite, RRA, Sabre Defence and other manufacturers sells mid-length models.

Picture of my mid-length A3 tactical carbine

Mid-length AR Picture Thread...link

+1

Good Description
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I always thought this was the main reason. Instead of putting a permanent flash suppressor on a 14.5" barrel to make it "look right" as opposed to the too-long 16" barrel, they moved the front sight base forward on the barrel enough so it matched the rifles with the correct bayonet mounting distance between the FSB and the flash suppressor.

It does tend to balance out the appearance of a 16" carbine. It turns out there ARE other benefits.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't under stand the whole mid length thing. If longer sight radius, smoother action, more handguard area for accessories like lights, lasers and vertical grips then get the rifle. If you want flame me because I don't drink the mid length cool aid that is served around here go a head. I don't like them.
If you hang out here to long you think that if a AR isn't a Mid-length with Knights rails, 16" supper light weight bbl with a Phantom, and a flat top with a EOTech, a Tango Down grip and a Magpul stock that its crap!

John
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you hang out here to long you think that if a AR isn't a Mid-length with Knights rails, 16" supper light weight bbl with a Phantom, and a flat top with a EOTech, a Tango Down grip and a Magpul stock that its crap!

God damn it...  I forgot the KAC rails and Magpul stock.  This thing is a total piece of crap!  Does it count for anything that I have BOTH TangoDown grips?  There is a reason that thousands will buy this stuff...  It works.  Is it necessary? No, but it certainly masks a task easier when one is using the right tools.  IMHO YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

God damnit...  I forgot the KAC rails and Magpul stock.  This thing is a total piece of crap!  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/dxdgenert/IMG_0919.jpg

You also forgot the supper light weight bbl!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

God damnit...  I forgot the KAC rails and Magpul stock.  This thing is a total piece of crap!  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/dxdgenert/IMG_0919.jpg

You also forgot the supper light weight bbl with a Phantom!

Well it's a M4 barrel so it's probably a gov't light contour and that looks like a 5C2 Phantom to me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Bingo we have a winn-ah!!!  Best set-up for me, too bad it took me two years to get everything just right.  Shoots great and handles well...  I'll set up all of my future rigs with similar configurations.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

img157.imageshack.us/img157/3861/carmiddissy4se.jpg

A "Dissipator" is the name of a Bushmaster barrel that IS NOT a midlength.

16in Bushmaster Dissipator Heavy Barrel Assembly

It has a carbine length gas system with a rifle length front sight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top