Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 1:56:53 PM EDT
I've seen at least one place make a destinction between a 16" mid length upper and a 16" CAR upper.

Anybody know what the difference is? +'s\-'s?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Mids are 2" longer between the front sight assembly and the receiver.  The gas tube becomes longer by 2"s.  The handguards are also 2"s longer.  Check Armalite and Rock River Arms' websites for reference ics. of both length uppers.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
(you'll need adobe acrobat reader for this link to work:)  [url]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/rracat03.pdf[/url]

edited to add the top rifle is standard CAR & the one underneath it is a mid-length - hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, that was perfect!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Follow up Q?

Is Armlite and RRA the only ones producing mid length setups?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#5]
At this time I believe so, some of the smaller "Parts houses" like M&A, might have uppers.  I'd go Armalite.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Armalite, RRA and others...

Armalite SIR#58
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17974[/img]

Other...
I lost my digi cam patch cord or I would have recent photos of it fully built (did not gas gastube in or gasblock fully pinned at the time of this photo)
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17222[/img]

IME the midlength are much betterperforming uppers
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
KevinB,
   I had read before that some people prefer the mid-length to the carbin length but I just thought it was because the longer handguards allowed more room to hang stuff on. Could you elaborate on how the mid-lengths perform better. I don't have any mid-length gas guns just a couple of pistol cal. blow-backs.

edit to add;
The top rifle pictured, is that a personal rifle or your service rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course KevinB is the midlength upper expert here but I've learned (from him of course) that the midlength offers much better fragmentation while still being short enough for CQB.

Daniel Defense is going to be offering a 1/7 twist, 4150, 16" midlength upper (complete in pre-ban configuration) in the near future.  I'm holding out for one of those.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Daniel Defense is going to be offering a 1/7 twist, 4150, 16" midlength upper (complete in pre-ban configuration) in the near future.  I'm holding out for one of those.
View Quote

What will be the barrel profile of these? Will they be chrome lined and have a 5.56mm chamber?
Will any be post ban config? Does he have a web site?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#10]
From what I understand they will be offering gov't profile, 5.56 chambered, 1-7 twist, 4150, 16" midlength barreled uppers in pre-ban configuration.  I'm not sure about post-ban.

Read this thread for more info:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=172152[/url]

and here is their website:
[url]www.danieldefense.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Of course KevinB is the midlength upper expert here but I've learned (from him of course) that the midlength offers much better fragmentation while still being short enough for CQB.
View Quote
Ummm, how does the position of the gas port affect fragmentation?  Perhaps he was referring to 18" barrels?

I prefer the mid-length HGs for the more forward hand position.  Armalite claims that the longer gas tube helps reliability over the shorter CAR length.  Third bonus for pre-ban owners is that a bayonet will work (although the ring is in the middle of the FS).
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Well the midlength gas tube won't effect fragmentation but the full 16" barrel does.  I apologize.  For some reason, in the depths of my brain, I was comparing a 16" barrel to a 14.5" barrel.  Sorry about that, maybe I need to lay off the beer [;)]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have bought an RRA mid-length, but since it's a SHTF carbine, the extra 2" could be a problem if I ever [i]need[/i] to replace a gas tube or forend.  I bought a lightweight CAR kit instead.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have over 4200rds w/o a cleaning throught my FFRAS Midlength - it has a LMT bolt but even supressed it appears to be much (subjectively I know) cleaner than a similar carbine length gastube.

The four midlength guns I have are all more reliable than the carbines I have (with the exception of my little 11.5 Colt w/ FFRAS and fatboy - it has never failed - even with over 400rds of F/A supressed in one sitting)

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Armalite SOF with ARMS#58M installed
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=19738[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top