Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:30:19 PM EDT
Ok.  So I am working on my 2nd build.  The first on came out great, but I managed to screw up (through lack of patience and proper tools) installing the roll pin to hold the trigger guard in place.  The result: some nice scratches around the pin hole.  This rifle is not going to be a "museum piece" by any means, but it should look new when it is new.  The receiver also had a few scratches and a strange patch on the buffer tube hole as well.  It was a stripped RRA lower banging around in a box of other stripped lowers at a gun show (but hey, it was only $99).  What is the best option for refinishing?  I was thinking of sending the whole weapon off to have it re-anodized when complete, but where should I send it?

-H

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/hh213/P1010012.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/hh213/P1010020.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c400/hh213/P1010021.jpg
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was thinking of sending the whole weapon off to have it re-anodized when complete, but where should I send it?

Here's a thread about a really good-looking re-anodizing job:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=267416
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You would have to completely disassemble it to have it reanodized so you would be back to square one. Fix the trigger guard with a black permenant marker and be done with it.

rj
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Send it to me along with some ammo so I can make sure it works when I get it back together
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
As most always say, just shoot it.  Its cosmetic and in no way affects function. If its a gun you intend on shooting dont worry about it. If you intend on it being a safe queen, then have her fixed but you have the chance of fubaring it up again after its refinished since it has to be disassembled to refinish it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Good input from all.  It is just cosmetic, and wanting to get it fixed is more to satisfy my need for perfection than worry about any function issues.  

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You got to be kidding! that's "NOTHING"  I guess I'm not as fin-a-key as outhers!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
first time you AR falls off a bench, or you forget and accidently shove it while it laying on its side on a shooting bench, youll forget all about it looking perfect. Consider it a battle scar and have fun with it. After a while all the nicks andscrapes on a gun kinda add to its personality... Lets othes know, you actualy use your gear and may actualy KNOW how to really use it... Guys i see at the range with new looking rifles are always the ones asking questions and shooting the 50 yard line.... the guys with rifles that show wear and tear are the ones knocking the center outa the targets at 100 +
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll give you $40 for It and the $50 you save from refinishing you can buy a new one. Win/win for both of us.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
i have seen worse than that from factory RRA rifles. aluma black is nice stuff btw
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Birchwood-Casey makes a paint touch up pen that will do a nice job fixing little marks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top