Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 5:52:43 AM EDT
I had to replace my original gas rings 'cause the bolt was quite loose in the carrier.
It was a new "no-name" M16 B/C group that I bought from someone (now i realize it must have been a factory reject  )
Got 3 or 4 failure to fire in about 500 rds.
A friend sent me his used Colt rings. Just fired 40 rds the other day. All went fine.

So I ordered this McFarland ring setup.
What are your impressions on this thing ?
Is it really a good upgrade ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It's awesome
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Good upgrade.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]
When new, the McFarland ring will make it difficult to insert the bolt into the bolt carrier.  Bolt movement in the carrier will be quite stiff.  After you fire a mag it will smooth out and feel more normal.  These rings hold up very well in my experience.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When new, the McFarland ring will make it difficult to insert the bolt into the bolt carrier.  Bolt movement in the carrier will be quite stiff.  After you fire a mag it will smooth out and feel more normal.  These rings hold up very well in my experience.

+1 They work well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the most inexpensive yet important upgrades a person can make on a AR
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had to replace my original gas rings 'cause the bolt was quite loose in the carrier.
It was a new "no-name" M16 B/C group that I bought from someone (now i realize it must have been a factory reject  )
Got 3 or 4 failure to fire in about 500 rds.
A friend sent me his used Colt rings. Just fired 40 rds the other day. All went fine.

So I ordered this McFarland ring setup.
What are your impressions on this thing ?
Is it really a good upgrade ?

LOVE THEM  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#7]
How much are they?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How much are they?

Last time I bought a few they were like $3.00
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#9]
i bought a few to see what they were about after some discussion in another thread a while back.
thought they were ok, never had any problems with the std ones so i did not notice any difference
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
any reccommendations of where to buy this from?

I hate moving those little rings around!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
any reccommendations of where to buy this from?

Rick McDowell of Competition Specialties, ( 105 E. Cass, PO Box 451, Osceola, Iowa 50213  Phone: (800)369-4481 /  (641)342-2011 )

I hate moving those little rings around!

Why are you doing that?  They don't need to be 'moved around'.  They will continue to rotate on their own as the bolt cycles.  As you as you install the bolt into the carrier they have moved from the position you put them in.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#12]
who offers them?

ETA: let me rephrase that, what dealers on this site offer them?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
With all due respect to Mr. McFarland, I do not think he is the originator of the design.

The commercial name of these are "Spiral Locks". They have been used in motorcycle and ATV applications as well as automotive  for some time. They are used to retain the floating piston pins that connect the rod to the piston. Most OEM makers use a round wire clip to retain the pin, and it works fine as a low cost item. The Spiral Locks were usually included in aftermarket piston kits.

If McFarland sized them to work for gas rings, then good for him. I have used them on quite a few AR's, and they work great.

Some folks just like to be different.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#14]
anybody have a pic or a link to see what it looks like
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#15]
What are the advantages over standard gas rings?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
brownells sells them

taken from brownells website

link to the item at brownells.com
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Ah crap. Yet another "gadget" to add to my collection. Seriously, I hate aligning the damn rings only to have them shift the moment I put the bolt back into the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
brownells sells them

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/100001257.jpg

How would you install it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Are these rings part of the upgrade Crane does on the M4 CQBR uppers?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
brownells sells them

Just twist it on like a nut.

I run them in all of my AR's.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
brownells sells them

place one of the ends on and twist/screw it on, fairly simple similar to the std rings but continous
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
How much are they?

$1.50 a piece  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i bought a few to see what they were about after some discussion in another thread a while back.
thought they were ok, never had any problems with the std ones so i did not notice any difference

The only difference I noticed was that the bolt is a lot LOOSER in the carrier with the McFarland ring in it. Eh...hasn't made a difference either way in function, though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Not to poo poo anyone, but I never got the big deal on them. I've NEVER had issues with my gas rings on guns with over 10K rd . So what makes them so Awesome over a set of new OEM rings .

I don't see these as performance enhancing, just another way to skin the cat so to speak.

Below are quotes by everyone who recommends them, but yet I see nothing that lends any creedance to the fact they they work better then the OEM rings

It's awesome
How So?

Good upgrade.
Why?

These rings hold up very well in my experience.
How well? How many Rds?

+1 They work well.
Again,how well?

Why is it one of he most Important Upgrades? An Upgrade usally is implemented to correct a problem or enhance current performance to a higher level. How are they doing that?

LOVE THEM
Because........?

And if these rings were $25 instead of $3 would you all still recommend them and think their all that and a bag of cheese puffs??

Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't see a big change in the way my AR's function with them. Since I ordered some from Brownells for the M4 I built I figured I change all my AR's with them.  They work and only time will tell. The only problem I can see is if you take the rings off to clean out the groove then it is a pain to take it off.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#27]
They are also the perfect partner to the $7 cotter pin!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I don't see a big change in the way my AR's function with them. Since I ordered some from Brownells for the M4 I built I figured I change all my AR's with them.  They work and only time will tell. The only problem I can see is if you take the rings off to clean out the groove then it is a pain to take it off.

you take the rings off to clean in between the grooves?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only difference I noticed was that the bolt is a lot LOOSER in the carrier with the McFarland ring in it. Eh...hasn't made a difference either way in function, though.

actually mine was a bit tighter with the mcfarland gas rings.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
brownells sells them

Just twist it on like a nut.

Thanks

I run them in all of my AR's.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
brownells sells them

So its like putting a key on a key ring?

I have not changeg the rings on my AR.had my AR for 8 months

place one of the ends on and twist/screw it on, fairly simple similar to the std rings but continous

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
brownells sells them

So its like putting a key on a key ring?

I have not changeg the rings on my AR.had my AR for 8 months

similar to that in a way
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Armalite carries these for $3.00.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Waste of money. An AR/M16 will run on a single gas ring.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Not to poo poo anyone, but I never got the big deal on them. I've NEVER had issues with my gas rings on guns with over 10K rd . So what makes them so Awesome over a set of new OEM rings .

I don't see these as performance enhancing, just another way to skin the cat so to speak.

Below are quotes by everyone who recommends them, but yet I see nothing that lends any creedance to the fact they they work better then the OEM rings

It's awesome
How So?

Good upgrade.
Why?

How well? How many Rds?

+1 They work well.
Again,how well?

Why is it one of he most Important Upgrades? An Upgrade usally is implemented to correct a problem or enhance current performance to a higher level. How are they doing that?

LOVE THEM
Because........?

And if these rings were $25 instead of $3 would you all still recommend them and think their all that and a bag of cheese puffs??

Just curious.

When I asked about them last year folks said they were not necessary and even caused problems.  Guess it depends on what day you ask.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's awesome
How So?

Good upgrade.
Why?

How well? How many Rds?

+1 They work well.
Again,how well?

LOVE THEM
Because........?

Just curious.

When I asked about them last year folks said they were not necessary and even caused problems.  Guess it depends on what day you ask.  

i have yet to see for myself any difference between the mcfarlands and std ones.

had about 10k through my rifle with the std rings and never had any problems. read a thread that gave the mcfarland rings high ratings so i wanted to see for myself and it has about 4-5k through it and i have notice no performance changes and the only change was when i first installed them they were a bit tight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top