Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 7:28:24 AM EDT
Anyone having experience with McFarland gas rings in a Bush AR-15, is this any better than the normal 3 gas rings when "timed" right?
Thanks, Leonard (Netherlands)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have put about 500 rounds through my Bushy since I put in the McFarland gas ring.  Not one malfunction.  Bolt is still tight in the carrier without any hint of wanting to slip out on its own.  I think that the design on the one-piece gas ring is better since it allows less gas to escape into the action.  The stock gas rings will work just as well, just a little more mess to clean up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i always figured they were a solution to a non problem. I have heard some folks complain about reliability issues with them.

Personally i have never seen standard rings fail. I replace mine once a year regardless. at under 1.00 why not.

mike
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, one piece, and the three little split rings.

Get the one piece, for the simple lazy reason of not having to offset the rings all the time.

Everytime I take my 3 split ring bolt apart sure enough two or all three of the gaps are aligned.

Not that I've had any problems while they are aligned and shooting, but many opinions state it can lead to problems.

I think it cost me 5 bucks so it is more expensive the the 3 piece split rings.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first got my AR back in Sept??? 2002 I really used to pay attention to making sure the stock gas rings were all lined up, very clean and lubed.

The last time I cleaned me AR I looked at them and realized it had been a long time since I've even thought of them.

They were all lined up.

I put the gun back together and racked the charging handle maybe 4 times. Upon taking the bolt back out of the gun I see the gas rings are all mixed up again.

After that I don't worry about them any more. If they don't break I ain't fixing them.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top