Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:21:05 AM EDT
OK I really want a 9mm AR and have seen varying degrees of reliability, cost of mags etc.  RRA uses colt mags, correct?  My question if I got a factory RRA would all it take to run the cheap sten mags be to swap the mag block?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, yes and no.  It is possible to run Sten mags in a RRA setup, but as far as I know nobody offers the blocks you would need.  I made a set for myself and they work fine, but the readily available ones for Sten mags won't work in a Colt (RRA) setup.  They are for the Olympic Arms type of upper, which uses a different bolt, feed ramp, ejector, etc.

I imagine a set of blocks to use Sten mags in a Colt-style upper would sell, but the question is- how many and how much.  It might not be worth it.

In either case, the Sten mags would have to be slotted for the Colt mag catch.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
OK so there are further complications with the upper.  I see.  well dangit.  It was worth a shot I guess.  I like RRA and for the price of a factory rifle am really liking it, but would like to avoid expensive mags.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, things aren't that bleak.  If you go with the RRA setup you're talking about, you can use the Promag plastic magazines, which even hold the bolt back on empty.  They appear to work pretty well and with a little digging you can find them for around $15.  Not as cheap as Sten mags, but pretty damn cheap.  They come ready to rock right out of the package and you don't need a special tool to load them like the Sten mags do so the extra dollars is money well spend in my opinion.

I just did the Sten mag blocks as a project to see if I could make them work (plus it's sometimes handy to be able to use the 50 round Lanchester mags in a Colt)  Usually I use the American Spirit Arms top-loading magwell block with Colt mags, 40-round South African modified UZI mags, Promags, or drums.  Anything to make noise!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#4]
CDNN has those plastic ones for 19.99...... where were the 15.00 ones at?

There was one place that sorta made a Sten block for Colt style.  Last he posted (not sure if he's around), he had a few left.....his 2nd generation.... is said to work much better.
First gen wasn't exactly perfect.... (I bought a few sets, prob will mod. them myself. to work).

If you want to contact or look at web: Link HERE
Click on the "Pics & Price" and scroll all th way down....

By the way, I too made my own Sten mag adapter in the Colt 'way back'.... there were about 10 or so of us that posted they made some.  A bunch of people asked for the text on how to do it....

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeez, was it really "way back"?  Yeah, that was my inspiration and I was one of the posters that joined in.  A fun project.

Sorry, but I can't supply a source for the $15 Promags.  I thought someone mentioned getting some for that price on one of the boards.  The $19 price is more common.

Edit- I just Googled up the magazines and it appears that some place called Paintballandknives.com has them for $14 and change.  I guess they are available for less if you look around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I am afraid I couldn't find the $15 Promags, but I did find them for $10.99

Click Here...just ordered 5 of them!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
man this is tough.  I need to get my $$ saved up for this but also need a scope for my 10fp
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just ordered ten from here.  At $11, I had to try them.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the SNS Industries mag well block.  The block is cheap, uses sturdy, reliable and cheap sten mags as opposed to crappy promag junk and you'll have something just a little bit different from everyone else.  If you ever decide to go Oly then you can use the same block, just remove the Colt ejector.  I'd tell you how good they work but I'm still waiting for my order to show up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just ordered ten from here.  At $11, I had to try them.

Roy

How much was S/H?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it was around $10....I received mine in like 3 days. I took the new 9mm RRA carbine out today...just real quick. It ran perfect with the 2 mags that I brought along. I will get around to testing all the others soon...functioned perfect and held the bolt back when empty. I ordered 5 more when I got home.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top