Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 10:12:20 PM EDT
Bear with me, I can relate this to an AR15.

What stops an American company from producing a rifle made by a foreign government?

I was thinking about the South Korean Daewoo rifle in particular. Is it just a "no demand for it" issue? or are there legal issues involed halting production of this rifle?

using parts like a fire control group and magazine catch would be a nice perk for parts compatability.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
might run afoul of 922(r) perhaps?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bear with me, I can relate this to an AR15.

What stops an American company from producing a rifle made by a foreign government?

I was thinking about the South Korean Daewoo rifle in particular. Is it just a "no demand for it" issue? or are there legal issues involed halting production of this rifle?

using parts like a fire control group and magazine catch would be a nice perk for parts compatability.

Patents and intellectual propereties.  Think why doe FN pay Colt to manufacture their design, Colt owns the rights and ideas of the Mil-spec pattern of the rifle.  Furthermore why build for your competition?  If foriegn weapons were available widescale the market would move away from ARs.  Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic and any other domestic manufacturers do not want competition and likely support bans staying in place with campaign contributions and bribes.  Trust me it is all lose-lose for us.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Krebs builds American AKs, DSA builds American FALs, Bobcat and Spezial Wepunz build American H&Ks...................................
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Move away from AR's?

Thats a bad thing how? Is it a bad thing to want more options than just an AR15?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
might run afoul of 922(r) perhaps?

It doesn't apply to American made parts, regardless of the design's country of origin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Start-up costs. I'm sure that a overseas firearms maker would be happy to sell the rights to someone that would want to build it, but dies, machines, ect are not cheap.

With the AR-15, just about anyone can order up a run of lowers and uppers and in a few short weeks build "their" Ar-15.

Look at what JLD went through to produce PTR-91. They went overseas to get the tooling and it took them a long time to get to market.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Patents and intellectual propereties.  Think why doe FN pay Colt to manufacture their design, Colt owns the rights and ideas of the Mil-spec pattern of the rifle.  

Colts patent ran out long ago.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top