Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 9:08:34 PM EST
I can't decide between the varmint kit from M&A or the bull barrel kit from JT. I like the fact that the M&A kits use Wilson barrels, JT's use Shaw. I also like the picatinny gas block on the M&A, JT uses the round type like DPMS. Also M&A uses a 2pc free floated hanguard, I really don't know if I would like this or not. I would probably go ahead and go with M&A, but everyone on this board talks so highly of JT. I rarely ever hear anything good or bad about M&A. Are they as good as a JT kit? I have a stripped Olympic Arms lower just begging for a home. Can someone please help me decide.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:52:35 PM EST
I don't have experience with either, but from what I've read JT is better than M&A. I like the rail type gas block also, but M&A falls in with Sherluk and Model 1 to me. I have a varmint upper from one of these (don't remember which one) with a Wilson barrel and I'm not happy with the groups. There Varmint barrels don't group any better than a standard 20" barrel. If your looking for a tac driver, I'd say get a flattop upper and send it to CLE for a Douglas, Shilen or Kreiger barrel. I know I wanted a AR that shot like my Heavy barrel bolt rifles and I was disappointed in my varmint upper. For the extra$$$ I think you will be much happier with a custom barrel. If I had mine to do over that is the route I would have taken (and will take in the future with my Oly Lower) [bounce] Do a search on MOA stats or look for the topic under discussions. You can see some frustration with Wilson barrels. Just don't invest the $$$ for a varmint upper and expect a tac driver. It may or may not happen with a Wilson barrel. It's assured with a Kreiger, Shilen or Douglas!!! My .02
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:07:22 AM EST
I HAVE ORDERED FROM BOTH AND J&T IS A LOT BETTER M&A STOCK SETS SUCK AND ARE USED AND UPPER FIT IS GOOD ONE TIME AND SUCKS THE NEXT TIME GO WITH J&T WORTH THE MONEY
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:27:19 AM EST
I have had both and the J&T kit was much better. The M&A parts were cruddy. Some of the little springs were all gunked up and basically nonfunctional. The stock was used and roughed up. It had feeding problems initially. The J&T kit had all new parts, the trigger and other fire control parts were Colt, and it NEVER jammed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:35:28 PM EST
I have experiance with both M&A and J&T. Both have served me well. I had a problem once with M&A lower kit. Disconnectors were junk, but M&A made it right. Good customer service, at least for me. I have never had a problem with J&T and they even sent an extra front pivot pin detent & spring with each lower kit. Sure enough, detent went flying through air and was lost. J&T knew how easy that is to happen and fixed my problem before I was even broke. I now buy all my lower parts from J&T. Uppers are up to you. Do you want a Shaw or Wilson barrel? M&A= Wilson. J&T= Shaw. AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:57:57 PM EST
Which barrel is better, Shaw or Wilson?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:14:49 PM EST
i got my JT standard 20" kit together a few weeks ago and have been ignoring my responsibilities to AR15.com ever since, but who can blame me for shooting over web surfing :). JT makes a great gun and ive seen mostly 2" groups with South African ammo and Lake City crap with open sights. i dont think that is too shabby. No FTE, No FTFeed, and no FTFire that was operator caused (easing down the charging handle).
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:44:40 PM EST
JT is the SHIT. not because of the excellent product, but because of the even more excellent customer service. if you have a problem they make it right. it is that simple. -Spaceman
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:00:14 PM EST
I bought their 20" expedition kit, it is awesome! and really accurate! All the parts have a quality finish, no machining marks at all. The collar is a very nice semi gloss jet plack, matches my RRA lower perfect. The stock on mine is an A@ and it is one of the nicest A@ stocks I've seen, has a sorta grity feel to it, very very nice. Plus the staff and service is unbeatable. Hope this helps. Chris
Top Top