Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:29:28 PM EDT
Found this stock at this site: Magpul UBR  I like it.

Does anyone have any info on this stock? I like it better than the PRS stock I have on order.

Search came up with only pics from the SHOT show. (Thanks SMG for posting this pic!)

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it me, or does the URB look like it would break during the first official 5 foot drop test?

I like the theory behind the UBR, but I'm concerned on the strength as well as the complexity of the design/construction.

wp
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll agree that it looks like it would break, but if it is decently constructed, not as breakable as it looks and not too expensive, I'll take one
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it me, or does the URB look like it would break during the first official 5 foot drop test?

I like the theory behind the UBR, but I'm concerned on the strength as well as the complexity of the design/construction.

wp

Just you. It is actully all aluminum construction in the locking parts and far stronger than the M93 that is already seeing military service.  You must not have used or owned an M93 if you are concerned with complexity or toughness of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing one when it's released.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the M93.

that said- I like Magpul stuff.

So, is the whole stock aluminum?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the M93.

that said- I like Magpul stuff.

So, is the whole stock aluminum?

I am also a huge Magpul fan.  Not one of my rifles are without a Magpul component.

However, given what I've seen so far, I would have a hard time replacing my M93B with a UBR.  The UBR is interesting and brings forth some added flexibility...but I still like my M93B better in both aesthetics and design.  Now from a standpoint of durability, I'd like to see what the benefits of aluminum will bring forth...perhaps a drop test, side to side, of both stocks?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The model shown is an prototype to show shape and basic function. The black parts will be hard Anno ALU as well as the lock ing parts in the body of the stock. We are currently doing computer failure anylsis on the parts so that it will survive our drop test.

BTW here is our current drop test of 5 feet with 12lbs simulated rifle weight with a standard OEM ribbed stock...not pretty.

5 foot Drop test of Ribbed CAR Stock (Windows Media)

Rich,

That's great news! I look forward in playing with a production model.

When will we see a movie of the UBR in a drop test?

I hear that the Marines are now drop testing in multiple directions. I presume the UBR will past with flying colors.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BTW here is our current drop test of 5 feet with 12lbs simulated rifle weight with a standard OEM ribbed stock...not pretty.

OUCH!!

But I have to admire both the full-disclosure, and priority given durability.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Will the pocket at the rear be deep/thick enough to store 123 batteries in a foam holder?

Will the rubber buttpad be standard or add-on?

What is the estimated time to production?

What is the estimated end cost?

I am currently running a 6pos stock.  It has never seemed overly stout, and your video supports my thoughts.  If your stock is as strong or stronger, I can't see any reason to not purchase it.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Magpul has done it again

I'll definitely be in for one
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:36:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that the stock looks good and provides an adjustable length of pull with a constant cheek-weld.

I suspect I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I think Richard meant the black parts on the desert colored stock in the pic will  be AL, not the whole thng. Am I right? What do I win?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#14]
More money gone, I love the 93b, and want an uber ubr.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The model shown is an prototype to show shape and basic function. The black parts will be hard Anno ALU as well as the lock ing parts in the body of the stock. We are currently doing computer failure anylsis on the parts so that it will survive our drop test.

Hmm...where's the corresponding video starring your new stock?  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I might try onr of those one my M-11 slowfire!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I want one.  For my M-11
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#20]
"12lbs simulated rifle weight "

Really a pretty heavy M4.  (I guess that would be an M4 with M203, loaded 30rd magazine, PEQ2A, aimpoint, 40mmHEDP, Matech BUIS, and Surefire flashlight and nylon sling approximately.)  

Given most users sling weapons muzzle down, and most weapons are dropped on sling failure, that weapons are likely to fall on the muzzle, as well as most weapons don't weigh 12 lbs, that explains why I saw one cracked waffle stock in Iraq and it wasn't broken- just cracked on an angle in that triangular region of thin plastic between the sling swivel and latch.  

It appears the breakage [in the video] there was the result of the latch pin cracking the stock at the latch pin hole; IE a breakage that is only likely to occur when dropped STRAIGHT DOWN, a side impact to any surface is far less likely to produce similar results.  

The stock does look interesting - I like the fact that it looks like operation should be less "different" than the CAR stocks that most people are already familiar with.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Found this stock at this site: Magpul UBR  I like it.

photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-136.jpg

Does anyone have any info on this stock? I like it better than the PRS stock I have on order.

Search came up with only pics from the SHOT show. (Thanks SMG for posting this pic!)

Thanks

Based on my limited memory of 1 or 2 quick conversations w/ Mr. Fitzpatrick at SHOT 06-
1) It's controls are slightly different than the std. CAR, sorry Green-O....It opens by squeezing what looks like the std. CAR stock tab, fwd.  It then locks open, by sweeping bkwd. and pulling the front of the tab down at the same time, "locking" it in the down/raer position.
2) it maintains the cheekweld the 93 series was famous for, all the way to the receiver, while allowing the charging handle std. operation.
3) It possesses the ability to fit a "shock/recoil" absorbing system at a later time, should the end user so choose to use one.
4)  It has the ability to fill the tri-angular open void shown w/ a storage compartment.

I'm sure I missed something, but since the MPI guys stop by here I'm sure they'll square us all away.  Hope it helps.

/S2
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I noticed that you guys will be offering a M93B trade in for the UBR at a discount. Could you give an estimate of the trade in value of a M93B for a UBR? I was waiting for the UBR to come out instead of getting the M93B but it looks like the UBR is quite a ways out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#25]
release date?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Is the CTR still on schedule and will it be available in tan at the same time as the black?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Mr. FitzPatrick's stocks are the shit. I will be definitely be adding one of these to my new AR-10. I have 93B's on my Ar-15's, they have been fantastic. thanks for the preview Rich, I will be standing by for the production version.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Magpul=quality.  What else needs to be said other than this stock is on my short list.  I appreciate the time and effort they take to put out a great product.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#30]
All in all, I prefer the PRS. Just what I was looking for!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Is the CTR still on schedule and will it be available in tan at the same time as the black?

Ditto, but OD...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Is this just the UBR stock or should it be called the Über-Stock?

IDHunt
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
release date?

One site I saw that was taking pre-orders had an ETA of Oct 06.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Is this just the UBR stock or should it be called the Über-Stock?

IDHunt

Uber-stock... That's kinda cool, I think I'm gonna steal that pronunciation
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#37]

One site I saw that was taking pre-orders had an ETA of Oct 06.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Just when I was ready to buy a M93b.  I guess my CAR stock will have to last until October.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Guys, just because a site is selling pre-orders with an ETA of October, that doesn't mean anything.  Under federal law any company who sells pre-orders for any product is required to list a date that the product is expected to be in stock.  That's all they're doing.  So unless you hear something from Magpul directly, then take it with a grain of salt.  The last word I saw from Magpul on this was in another AR15.com thread and their projected release was sometime around June.  This date may change but the fact is, even they probably don't have an exact release date yet.

-Ryan
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Guys, just because a site is selling pre-orders with an ETA of October, that doesn't mean anything.  Under federal law any company who sells pre-orders for any product is required to list a date that the product is expected to be in stock.  That's all they're doing.  So unless you hear something from Magpul directly, then take it with a grain of salt.  The last word I saw from Magpul on this was in another AR15.com thread and their projected release was sometime around June.  This date may change but the fact is, even they probably don't have an exact release date yet.

-Ryan

Good point - grain of salt taken.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd rather wait longer for a top quality product, than rush it out...as much as I'd like to buy both the new stocks now.  It will be worth the wait...have any of their other products sucked?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'd rather wait longer for a top quality product, than rush it out...as much as I'd like to buy both the new stocks now.  It will be worth the wait...have any of their other products sucked?

My thoughts exactly.  Hasn't Magpul always shown their products are more than worth the wait?  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I have absolutely no doubts when Rich introduces this stock it will be several things:

1)  Tough as the proverbial brick sh!thouse
2)  Engineered to last
3)  Innovative and well thought out
4)  Expensive but worth every penny
5)  I'll buy one...

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

-Ryan

Hope you are right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top