Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:49:56 PM EDT
I Have 15 LEO marked Colt 30 round magazines they are stamped 1-98- 9-99 should I replace the followers with some magpuls or are they fine the way they are?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Prepare to be flamed from both sides.  My opinion is: "What can it hurt?".

TS
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
For a couple of bucks for new ones u are right what can it hurt
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#3]
MagPul MG followers will enhance the performance of those mags. For a couple of bucks each its a small price to pay for excellence.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with the Magpul Gen 2 followers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
They will NEVER WORK without MagPul followers!

Research has proven this!

Standard followers are good enough for the military, but INTERNUT COMMANDOS have higher standards!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Calm down they are LEO duty mags so I really want them to work the best they can
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Calm down they are LEO duty mags so I really want them to work the best they can

If these are duty mags I would stick with green followers until data from serious testing is produced indicating the magpuls are more reliable.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If these are duty mags I would stick with green followers until data from serious testing is produced indicating the magpuls are more reliable.

Do you think the magpuls will make them less reliable?  

Personally, I've never had an issue with green followers, but I've also never had a problem with the mags that have magpuls.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, I've never had an issue with green followers, but I've also never had a problem with the mags that have magpuls.  

+1  There needs to be a poll/review of Black vs. Green Vs. Magpul follower malfunctions in mags.  Like Zhukov does in the ammo forum.  I might post one...

TS
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Who knows?  There is a lot of hype for this product but I have yet to see data from actual testing.  I picked one up and have gotten it stuck in the middle of the mag.  True, the green ones will tilt and get stuck if you apply pressure to one side of the follower but they work fine when used as intended.  If you want to be able to push down on your follower with a pencil then by all means get a magpul follower.  I'm surprised how wild people here are over a product that is unproven.  People with the gen 1 magpuls were advised to file them down to get them to work better.  Gen 2 just came out.  I think it would be premature to use these in duty mags.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If we can we will try and get some factual testing on the followers. The problem is coming up with a test regiment that actually gives meaningful results and not just the results planned for by those paying for the test (Magpul included)

Holy... shit. A non-BS answer to a question.
AHH! My brain hurts!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knows?  There is a lot of hype for this product but I have yet to see data from actual testing.  I picked one up and have gotten it stuck in the middle of the mag.  True, the green ones will tilt and get stuck if you apply pressure to one side of the follower but they work fine when used as intended.  If you want to be able to push down on your follower with a pencil then by all means get a magpul follower.  I'm surprised how wild people here are over a product that is unproven.  People with the gen 1 magpuls were advised to file them down to get them to work better.  Gen 2 just came out.  I think it would be premature to use these in duty mags.

On something as critical as a follower it is good to be skeptical. We were wary of even building the product that was so tied into the operation of the weapons mechanics.

That said any hype comes from the users of the product and not us. If you look on the web site we just state what we believe the design offers over the standard green or black follower. This is covered in more detail in the white paper we wrote soon after release of the Gen 1 followers.

Magpul Follower White Paper

That said literally 10's of thousands have been fielded in combat environments for quite awhile now with very positive results.

The gen 2 followers were to make the followers compatible over a wider range of magazine bodies. In short if you can cycle the follower up and down without binding after install then the follower should work just fine (this is stated in the manual)

If we can we will try and get some factual testing on the followers. The problem is coming up with a test regiment that actually gives meaningful results and not just the results planned for by those paying for the test (Magpul included)

Holy shit there is an HONEST company out there!!!!

It's now time to go join the democrates and pray to the trees.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top