Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:09:35 AM EDT
just a quick vid on how to install a trigger guard...

Installing a trigger guard

SASS
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
skip that guys suggestion for loctite on the front screw, not necessary and it could be a real problem to try to heat it up to remove....<><....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The screw that came with my DD LPK already had loctite on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
skip that guys suggestion for loctite on the front screw, not necessary and it could be a real problem to try to heat it up to remove....<><....

absolutely agree.  and who needs a video of how to install this part???
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely agree.  and who needs a video of how to install this part???

You'd be surprised, I heard of someone screwing up their receiver extension by installing a trigger guard. It's true, just check out the Troubleshooting section sometime.

To the OP, you do not need Loc-tite on any part of a AR, with proper torquing & staking.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the back up...i have gotten a lot of good responses at to "it helped" others do their trigger guard...
As for the Locktite...I normally agree whole heartedly but the screw that magpul provides is not quite long enough to screw it all the way in...other wise I never use it,,,not even on my LaRue mounts like they suggest...
SASS
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The video does a good job of showing one way to support the ears.

I agree about not using loctite on that part.  Those screws are notorious for stripping out the allen wrench slot.  It may be pretty difficult to remove with loctite.  On a side note, a 5-40 x 5/16 button head screw is a good direct replacement for the front screw.  It uses a bigger allen head, 5/64 vs. 1/16, which is less prone to stripping.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I need to replace my annoying USGI triggerguard, and I was nervous about, since everyone seems to think it is difficult? This video helped! Cheers!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad I could help...I have several other vids on how to install stuff....You are more than welcome to check out my YouTube channel for info and if I can be of any help...just let me know...    
SASS....

ETHRON1
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Though it makes perfect sense to work from the side of the receiver that you used the roll pins are in no way directional. It just makes it so you don't have to flip the receiver to install the set screw.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On a side note, a 5-40 x 5/16 button head screw is a good direct replacement for the front screw.  It uses a bigger allen head, 5/64 vs. 1/16, which is less prone to stripping.

I was going to use just such a solution, but the cutout in my DD lower was too small to fit the head of the screw.  Just a note.

William
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Though it makes perfect sense to work from the side of the receiver that you used the roll pins are in no way directional. It just makes it so you don't have to flip the receiver to install the set screw.

Hey I was just going of what Armalite told me....as far as which way they come out...
SASS
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Understood, I was just making the point that since you remove and install the pin from the same side there is nothing special about the direction. A tapered pin as used in many sight blocks for instance would need to be flipped.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I just did it, sorry no pics, I still need pics of the whole rifle for my build thread, my camera is broken!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top