Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:17:32 AM EDT
I'm planning on building an AR for myself and my dad to share, the only thing is I'm only 20 years old. Does anyone happen to know the rules on transfering a lower reciever from an ffl? Do I have to be 21? or how does that work. I can't seem to find an ffl here in Duluth, MN to give me a straight forward answer. I don't want to start if I can't finish it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:02:23 AM EDT
Check out packing.org for state laws. Seems I remember special rules for assualt rifles and minors in MN. These are state rules, not federal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:54:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 12:05:29 PM EDT by Daubs]
Well according to the Brady Campaign MN permits selling an Assault Weapon (what I like to call a semi-automatic weapon) to anyone over the age of 18 from what I understand. In most states Rifles can be purchased by those 18+ and handguns are 21+.

According to what I found:

"Is there a waiting period on gun sales? Yes

Minnesota: State law requires a 7-day waiting period for all handgun or assault weapon sales by federally licensed dealers unless the buyer has a state permit (which takes 7 days). This 7-day period is used by law enforcement to run a criminal background check to make sure the handgun buyer is not prohibited from acquiring firearms. The 7-days also serves as a "cooling off" period to help prevent crimes of passion."

To find FFL's in your state to do a transfer try Gunbroker. Type in your zip code or just select your state, fees vary greatly between FFL's less than $15 is a good deal for a transfer. According the the BATFE your FFL can now FAX his Signed FFL licence to the person or shop your are buying from to speed up the process.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:03:20 PM EDT
AR15.Com has a section devoted to Minnesota residents:

Minnesota Forum

You'd probably get your most reliable info regarding local laws there.

Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:43:07 PM EDT
Email sent. I live across the river from you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:17:32 AM EDT
In MN you need to have a "permit to purchase a handgun" to buy an "assult riffles" but you need to be 21 to get one. Go figure. To get one you go to the local PD and apply, no costand a 7 day wait, and then you are good for a year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:10:27 AM EDT
That such a weird rule all the little things you can't do till you're 21, Well I'm still only 20 so I'll have to wait till I'm 21 (two more months) till I can get the permit. I could start getting the rest of the gun sent to me though.

Top Top