Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2018 10:17:34 PM EDT
I ran into a deal this spring on a couple cases of "visual 2nds" MK318 MOD1 direct from the factory. As you can see from the pictures below, it's appears very similar to MK318 MOD0 ammo, except for the silver colored bullet. I sorted every round and came away with a handful of rounds that had moderately dented necks and discarded them.

There's not much information available about this "improvement" to MK318 MOD0 but there is this article out there that details a few differences.

We found that we could replace the lead with copper, stretching the jacket around ever so slightly so it allowed us to crimp the nose even more. With that, the ballistic coefficient went up allowing the round to fly more efficiently through air with a better trajectory. Now it’s a ballistic match to the stock off-the-shelf reticle patterns that the Marine Corps uses, like the Trijicon ACOG sights. We named the improved round the Mk318 Mod1.
View Quote
If you don’t know ammunition well enough you might confuse it with the Mk262 which is a 77 grain projectile. The Mk262 is an open tipped match round used by the Special Ops community. Since we were worried about confusion with the Mk262, we had to take another look at the color of the tip. Every color was taken except for solid silver so we decided to nickel plate the entire projectile.
View Quote
I wanted to see how MOD1's velocity stacked up to the well known velocity performance of MOD 0 ammo so I ran a test. 10 rounds each out of an 11.5" barrel and a 16" barrel, both 1:7 twist.

The Ammo:

Mod0 is in the box and the MOD1 is on stripper clips:

Attachment Attached File

A picture from the Federal bulk case denoting it's factory 2nds ammo with "visual" as the defect:

Attachment Attached File

There were two different headstamps in my cases, FC 17 and FC 18. Primers are crimped and sealed. Case necks are also sealed.

Attachment Attached File

The Chronograph

MasterChrony, 12 feet from the muzzle.

Atmospherics:

Air Temp: 65 degrees
Humidity: 77%
Dewpoint: 55 degrees
Pressure: 30.02
Elevation: 1030'

The Results:

I calculated average velocity, extreme spread and standard deviation using Excel.

Attachment Attached File

Both rounds got moving pretty well!
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome work! Thank you

Hopefully others will be able to provide gel tests and sectioned bullets in the future
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
nice to see it got more consistent in velocity.

will mod 1 ever be for sale commercially though?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice to see it got more consistent in velocity.

will mod 1 ever be for sale commercially though?
View Quote
Who knows? Personally, I hope there's an overrun of several million rounds of MOD1 that will be released since M855A1 is the flavor du jour. Then again, it would be nice to see M855A1 at $10/box.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, could the velocity increase be due to less friction caused by the nickel plating?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome work! Thank you

Hopefully others will be able to provide gel tests and sectioned bullets in the future
View Quote
Blue Falcon has a box and should be working on some tests soon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome! I was going to test Mod 1 tomorrow (Sunday) out of my 11.5" 6933 upper but shipping was delayed and I wont have it until Monday.

Very excited to see the gel tests.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Who knows? Personally, I hope there's an overrun of several million rounds of MOD1 that will be released since M855A1 is the flavor du jour. Then again, it would be nice to see M855A1 at $10/box.
View Quote
If Federal keeps producing Mod 1 I'd bet more will trickle out but will they keep production going? I'm not sure what its place with the USMC will be now that the M855A1 was universally adopted. But then again I'd rather find a couple cases of M855A1 seconds than Mod 1 anyway
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:44:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice, thanks.  I have been thinking about a few cases of this for "go-to" 11.5" ammo.  50 gr TSX Optimized is just so.....pricey for 5.56.

The original "brown box" Mk318 was rumored to be hotter, too bad it is now unobtanium.

I wish Mk318 was loaded to the same velocity as M855.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Im not sure why people are saying its better than Mod 0. To me it looks the same or even slightly worse since it doesnt seem to fragment as much. Not that all impressive compared to M855A1.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If Federal keeps producing Mod 1 I'd bet more will trickle out but will they keep production going? I'm not sure what its place with the USMC will be now that the M855A1 was universally adopted. But then again I'd rather find a couple cases of M855A1 seconds than Mod 1 anyway
View Quote
is it a hard fact that the Marine have adopted the 855a1?

if so, that might mean the end of the 318.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 1:45:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It's interesting, the MK318 is faster then M855 from a 11.5", but a good bit slower then M855 from a 16":

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

is it a hard fact that the Marine have adopted the 855a1?

if so, that might mean the end of the 318.
View Quote
As far as I know it's the M855A1 going forward now. The Mk318 may be used for certain things but who knows, that's just my speculation (wishful thinking). I have a few hundred rounds of Mod 1 and Ill probably just sit on them now unless Federal keeps producing it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Mod 0 very much. I have it loaded in my ready mags.

It looks from the data that the Mod 1 is a little better (slightly faster and more consistent). I'm curious how the accuracy compares between them since poor accuracy is a criticism of the 318. I usually get about 2 to 2.5 MOA with my MK318 Mod0 with an occasional 4MOA group caused by a flier. Still more consistent than XM855.

I'm surprised we are still seeing any 318 especially the Mod0 since it was replaced by the Mod1 then everything replaced by the M855A1.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't find any Mod 0...
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I've scored about 1500 Mod 1 projectiles off of gunbroker in the last few months. Been meaning to do some reloading and testing. Just never got around to it yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal still has a contract for Mod 1.  Complicated things going on in the politics of the rounds. Marine Corps want to keep the Mod 1 and haven’t been forced to switch to 855A1 so they haven’t. All I can let out at this time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Federal has done many tests on the Mod O vs Mod 1. Mod 1 is better. Better BC, slightly hotter and consistent. Accuracy was improved.  I know this for a fact.  In the know.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top