Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:02:58 AM EDT
Would an MGI hydraulic buffer work in an AR pistol?

I am new to the AR pistol scene and keep hearing about buffer tube problems unless you get the ACE.  Would the MGI buffer kit solve the problems or make them worse?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to ask this question directly to the MGI rep who sells parts in the equipment exchange.  His handle is twl

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I think your right.  Either this is a stupid question or nobody knows.  I was leaning towards stupid question, but I did search first but came up empty.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
When people quote "use an ACE pistol buffer", bascially, it is a 'CAR' length tube.  So..... a hydraulic buffer should work.....  I wouldn't see why it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When people quote "use an ACE pistol buffer", bascially, it is a 'CAR' length tube.  So..... a hydraulic buffer should work.....  I wouldn't see why it wouldn't.

+1

heres a thread discussing hydraulic/mechanical buffers

there are some people using it in 10.5" uppers so i would imagine it would be the same since (like kaliburz has stated) most people are using the carbine length buffer tube.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
That is the exact thread I read when wondering if a hydraulic buffer would help or hurt pistol builds.  Guess there is only one way to find out...

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If the pistol has a buffer tube which will accept a normal carbine-length buffer, then the MGI RRB buffer will work in it.

If there is some shortened buffer tube, which requires a shorter buffer, then it will not work.

twl,

I was wondering, how much does this buffer weight?  Sort of wondering if it would work in a CAV-15 (plastic-uses CAR buffers) w/ the Oly Arms pistol cals.  (Not sure if you're familar, but the Cav's need a "heavy" 8.0+oz buffer to correctly work w/ the Oly pistol cal 45 upper .......or they'll split open from too much pounding....)  Just a side thought/tangent....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IMO, the MGI RRB would be the best thing that you could put into that 45ACP gun.

It works great with 45ACP and also with any other caliber that I can think of for the AR15 platform. It is basically a "universal buffer" that really performs super with all the calibers.

It is about 7.1 ounces, but it has the recoil taming ability which other heavy buffers do not have.
It will drastically reduce the impact level of the buffer against the Cav Arms butt, and also your shoulder.

You'll love it.
Guaranteed, or your money back!

You can't go wrong with an MGI RRB!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top