Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:35:57 PM EDT
Is this allowed to shot in an indoor range....i always shhot outdoors, but i'm moving and will be mostly shooting ant an indoor range.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The range that I shoot at, doesn't allow steel core ammo.  I found that out when the freaked out over the sparks coming from the backstop as I shot xm855 ammo.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The range that I shoot at, doesn't allow steel core ammo.  I found that out when the freaked out over the sparks coming from the backstop as I shot xm855 ammo.

Thats what i figured....anyone recommend any think good for the range other tha wolf....i gums up my rifle too much
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, my indoor rane wont allow it either.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If they let you shoot other FMJ then they should let you shoot M855.  But it's their range, and you're not likely to enlighten an ignorant fool at a range/gunshop.

It's Ironic because the M855 is less penetrating on an ARMOR backstop than the M193.  Those baboons don't know what they're talking about.  They just see the sparks from the penetrator splattering and assume that it's doing damage of some kind.

I did the research to prove this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they let you shoot other FMJ then they should let you shoot M855.  But it's their range, and you're not likely to enlighten an ignorant fool at a range/gunshop.

It's Ironic because the M855 is less penetrating on an ARMOR backstop than the M193.  Those baboons don't know what they're talking about.  They just see the sparks from the penetrator splattering and assume that it's doing damage of some kind.

I did the research to prove this.

I agree.......especially since the range I shoot at won't allow steel core ammo.............but will allow .50 BMG rounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Well i stopped by a local gun range where i'm moving, but they were too BUSY to talk to me...nice! But i noticed they were were checking rifle ammo with a magnet....guessin thats how they check for a steel core huh?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well i stopped by a local gun range where i'm moving, but they were too BUSY to talk to me...nice! But i noticed they were were checking rifle ammo with a magnet....guessin thats how they check for a steel core huh?

The magnet will pull on S&B 2.23 and it's not steel core.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#8]
The range I shoot at does not allow it. I have shot it though, rarely, and have never noticed any sparks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Not exactly sure what u mean there?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is this allowed to shot in an indoor range....i always shhot outdoors, but i'm moving and will be mostly shooting ant an indoor range.
Thanks

Pretty much depends on whether the range owner likes the people living behind the building.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It doesn't have a steel core but the jacket is magnetic.  Not sure of the jacket material.  I am sure some one will let us know.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:39:07 AM EDT
[#12]
the indoor range where I buy my ammo not only allow it but they sell it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks

Most indoor ranges do not allow rifle ammo above .22LR

You'll probably need to find an outdoor range, or invest in a pistol caliber or rimfire upper....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:53:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't have a steel core but the jacket is magnetic.  Not sure of the jacket material.  I am sure some one will let us know.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that the jacket may be ferrous.

Another reason not to shoot S&B .223.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the Ammo Oracle
Czech-made Sellier & Bellot (S&B headstamp) ammo uses bullets with thicker jackets made of mild steel which have been copper-plated.  From the outside, they appear just like M193 bullets, but due to the jacket material and construction, they do not fragment.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top