Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 11:24:05 PM EDT
Will some one tell me what the big deal of the M4 ar15 is?  I dont think I have been convinced it is the way to go.  I own a ak and a hk91  do I need a M4.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Need? As in do we really *need* any gun?  Gun ownership is a hobby of sorts isn't it?  If you don't want one, don't buy one... Seriously, I enjoy shooting mine more than my HK-91 because it's just more fun for me to shoot, and that in a nutshell is the whole point of a hobby; to have fun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
ditto.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you dont need one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't need any of those, they are just nice to have.  If you only have those .30 cals you mentioned, get an AR-15 to round out the caliber selection, but don't worry if it's an M4 configuration or not, unless you just wanna look cool to those that give a crap and know enough to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you have full length/non collapsible versions of the HK & AK I would consider a carbine style AR (whether it be an M4 or not). I love my 20" A3 but if all you have is full length rifles a carbine would be a welcome change of pace. Other than that you don't need one at at all. Furthermore, if you do appreciate your full-length rifles you might consider a standard A2, an A3, or the new craze: the SPR.

In conclusion: AR ownership isn't necessarry at all, but any modern longarms collector should have one. Whatever configuration suits your tastes is the one to get
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, other than my constructive use of the word "need" and all the facts of gun ownership.  I was wanting to know the advantages of the m4 over the standard ar-15.  I think that it has been built up in the movies.  Funny thing is that the guys that actually use these things (special forces exc.) all have aks or ak varants.  Does that say anything to me.  I think so.  I think that ar15 has all the toys and spare parts you could ever want, before the real use comes in.  I dont think that it has quite done the job that it was built for.  But check out my site anyway www.tradefirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]

No, only the police and military needs those things...[;)]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I own 3 ARs, 20" A2 Bushmaster Post Ban, 11.5" Oly carbine and a short Bushmaster Pre Ban. Dont need any of them.. But its my only vice.. (Seriously!) Just own 'em cause they are a blast to shoot. I personally like the heavy bbl. profile better than the M4 profile. (a 14.5" is what is going on my BM after form1 comes back). Dont feel you have to be convinced by anyone..Just do what you like.. John
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have to ask, you don't need it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
SPR's are the "in" weapon of choice these days.  The M4's are so '90's. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
"Funny thing is that the guys that actually use these things (special forces exc.) all have aks or ak varants. "
[>:/]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
They just look cool, and save some barrel weight.  If you don't have an M203 grenade launcher, you don't NEED the step, unless you are trying to save some weight, or look cool...

Okay, I admit it, I'm guilty...[8D]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think you should get one.  And yes,  we all NEED to have some sort of military style carbine.  Haven't you guys read the book "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse"?  J/k

Seriously though, the attitude that we don't really need these weapons is exactly how they get banned.  The demorats say,  "oh,  nobody needs something like that."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top